Authors: Sara Crocker

For more information, call 491-1332.

To learn more about powwow etiquette, go to www.powwow-power.com/powwowetiquette.htm

CSU powwow coming soon to Moby

While screaming fans stomping on bleachers and clapping their hands is a noise common to Moby Arena, there will be another sound echoing through the building this weekend: the sound of drums.

The Native American Student Association will be hosting its 23rd annual powwow at CSU Saturday and Sunday as part of Native American Heritage Week. This powwow will be much larger than in the past few years, said NASA President Eric Acosta.

"The past couple of years it's been kind of dormant," said Acosta, a senior anthropology major. "We're trying to wake it up."

Ty Smith, director of Native American Student Services, said the students have been planning the powwow for a while, and he is excited to see the fruits of their labor.

"NASA has worked really hard on this," he said. "We're excited to have the powwow back on campus and hear the drums back in Moby."

Powwows give Native Americans a chance to get together, share culture and meet new people, Smith said.

There will be drumming, singing, dancing and arts and crafts, education and concessions booths. Acosta said the education booths could help recruit prospective students.

This year's theme is "Heartbeat of One People." Joe Robertson, a senior math major, said this theme is reflective of Native American culture and the idea of unity. He said in Native American culture the hoop is important, and the powwow is set up in a circle.

Robertson and Acosta both said they are excited for the powwow, which they have been planning for more than a year.

"It's a unique experience," Robertson said. "People put a lot of passion into it."

Seraphina Wall, NASS program coordinator, said she has been going to powwows since she was a child and tries to go to as many as she can.

"I've been raised in powwow culture," said Wall, a senior sociology and criminal justice major.

She said she would like to see non-Native American students and community members attend the powwow. It is a good way to expose people to Native American culture and filter out stereotypes, she said.

Jerald Staatz, a senior history major, said he had not heard about the powwow and did not know enough about what it is to attend. However, he said if he found out more about it he may go.

"There's so much stuff going on every day it's hard to keep abreast of everything that's happening," he said.

For those who do attend, Acosta said he wants them to come away with more of a familiarity of Native American culture and to be more aware of Native American Student Association on campus as a place for all students.

"We can offer a second home," he said. "It's just a place to feel welcome."

The events will begin at 9 a.m. each day. Everyone is invited to attend. Admission is free for students with a CSU identification card, $3 per day for community members, $5 for the entire weekend, and free for children 5 years old and younger.

Acosta said the student association is still looking for volunteers and that there are still places available for vendors to set up booths. For more information, call 491-1332.