Authors: Muara Makarim

Despite the many obstacles CSU students have faced this year, including debates over the three-unrelated ordinance, riots and deaths of students, about 850 students volunteered their Saturday to give back to the community.

CSUnity began with volunteers gathering in the Lory Student Center Commons at 9 a.m. to check in and get breakfast before they headed out to help the community.

Many student associations volunteered for this year's event, including Honors Student Association, Greek Life, Microbiology Student Association and many more.

"This is my first time doing this," said Genevieve Lund, a freshman technical journalism major and volunteer from a Greek team.

Lund said she was participating in CSUnity as part of Greek Week, to let people know the positive things Greek Life does for the community.

Spreading awareness about diabetes to the community was just one of the projects held this year, said Alice Campbell, a volunteer who distributed brochures and posters about diabetes awareness around Fort Collins.

"This is my first time doing CSUnity and I like it a lot," said Campbell, a junior zoology major. "It's a sense of helping an agency that needed help, and this is for a good cause."

The Clothesline Project was another CSUnity project, said Becky Goldbach, a senior equine science and agricultural business major.

"It is a project for victims of sexual violence," Goldbach said.

T-shirts decorated by women who were victims of sexual assault were hanged around the city to be viewed as a testimony to the problem of violence against women.

Whether students were hanging up T-shirts and fliers or picking up trash, students joined forces to give back to the community.

"I enjoy volunteering," said Lexi Crawford, a sophomore chemistry major and volunteer. "I believe CSU students should do things for community."