Authors: Tim Pennington

Islamic Culture Awareness Week schedule of events

Monday:

"Arabian Night" celebration

Noon, Lory Student Center Plaza

Come for free Arabic coffee, baklava and to explore an Arabic tent.

Tuesday:

Free Arabic language class

11 to 11:50 a.m. and 12:10 to 1 p.m.

LSC room 222

Come learn basic sayings and letters.

Wednesday:

"Inside Mecca"

11 a.m., LSC commons

Film viewing.

"Islamic Culture Corner"

12 to 3 p.m., LSC sunken lounge

The women of the Muslim Student Association will be demonstrating how to dress in traditional Muslim wrappings and write names in Arabic. Free books will be given away.

Thursday:

"Terrorism, Islam and the West"

6:30 to 8 p.m., LSC theatre

Presentation by Sheik Yusuf Estes asking what the community can do to prevent terrorism and dispel stereotypes associated with Islam.

A presentation by a sheik and quick lessons in Muslim dress and the Arabic language are a few of the activities planned for Islamic Culture Awareness Week, which begins Monday.

The Muslim Student Association is hosting a week full of activities designed to expose Americans, particularly CSU students, faculty and staff, to Muslim traditions.

"We just want people to respect each other's opinions," said Zaki Safar, the MSA program coordinator and sophomore electrical engineer major. "We're expecting 2,000 people to attend this week's events."

The week's main focus is on a lecture by Sheik Yusuf Estes titled "Terrorism, Islam and the West." This speech asks what can be done in the community to prevent terrorism.

MSA is hoping this week's activities will focus on what CSU can do to make a difference in Americans' views of terrorists and the Middle East, said Khaleel Al-Yahya, MSA president and a graduate student.

"We need this community between Muslims and Americans," Al-Yahya said. "Usually people talk about the differences. We need to find the common things that bring us together."

Please contact the Muslim Student Association at 491-1477 for more details.