Authors: Jim Lawn

The men's golf team will be hitting the links today in Phoenix in the 33rd annual Thunderbird Invitational hosted by Arizona State. The tournament will be played at the 7,037-yard/Par-72 ASU Karsten Golf Course.

The Rams are looking to derail the Sun Devils off their own track, where they have won five of the past six Thunderbird Invitational Tournaments and won the tournament 12 of the past 16 years.

Last year, ASU set a tournament record 43-under par. The tournament's format will be a 54-hole stroke play, with the lowest four scores counted each round for the team total. Teams and individual ties will be broken by a sudden-death playoff.

Fifteen schools will play 36 holes today, followed by a final round on Saturday. The tournament field consists of Arizona, ASU, Brigham Young, California, Hawaii, Kansas State, Oregon, Penn State, Pepperdine, Stanford, Texas Tech, UCLA and UNLV.

The Rams have one more stop in Provo, Utah, to compete in the Cougar Classic on April 22-23 before competing in the Mountain West Conference Championships April 28-30 in Sunriver, Ore.

This year's conference is very strong, with three MWC teams ranked in the top 10: No. 4 UNLV, No. 5 New Mexico and No. 8 BYU. UNLV's Ryan Moore is ranked No. 1 in individual play and New Mexico's Spencer Levin is nipping at his heels in the No. 2 seed.

The Rams are ranked No. 66 in the latest Golfweek/Sagarin performance index. They are gunning for their 10th-straight NCAA Tournament appearance.