Authors: Muara Makarim

When: 9 a.m.Saturday

Where: The Lory Students Center Commons, lower level

Participants: All students who want to volunteer

How to sign up: Go to www.slce.colostate.edu, CSUnity link for registration form, return to room 27 in the Lory Student Center, 491-1483

Places volunteers will be helping:

Bluegrouse Health Care, senior center

The Farm – Fort Collins, petting zoo

Food Bank for Larimer County

The Open door Mission

American Diabetes Association

Northern Colorado AIDS Project

Trees, Water, People

And more

Volunteer registration for this year's CSUnity is 100 people higher than last year, putting the total registration at 800 for CSU's annual service project.

CSU has been serving the community with CSUnity, which takes place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. this Saturday, for 10 years. The purpose of the program is to give students across campus an opportunity to come together and be engaged in their community.

"We hope that students will have desire to continue the service in their community after volunteering in CSUnity," said Kristen Reed, special events coordinator for the Student Leadership and Civic Engagement office. "This event is an open door for helping less fortunate people in the community."

Hundreds of students have participated in CSUnity over the years.

"There are many students who want to join this program and we have many people on our waiting list," said Ashley Withington, also a SLCE special events coordinator. Teams range from five to 150 people, and there are generally close to 40 groups that participate.

CSUnity participants will do free community-service projects throughout Larimer County. The event begins with registration at 9 a.m. in the Lory Student Center Commons and will be followed by a short speech about the community service. Students who volunteer will get breakfast, lunch and a T-shirt.

"I got a great experience participating at CSUnity," said Chris Cappello, a senior mechanical engineering major who is helping organize CSUnity after participating last year. "The goal is to apply good services to the community and help the community to develop."

CSUnity works with many nonprofit organizations including Food Bank for Larimer County, the Open Door Mission, American Diabetes Association, Northern Colorado AIDS Project and Trees, Water, People.

"I think it is a good program because it allows the community to help people who cannot (do) their activities well," said Suji Shealey, a junior biological sciences major. "The benefit for the volunteers is getting the satisfaction of helping someone. It is also good for them to get experiences, be aware to their community and see how other people are living."

CSUnity is still accepting applications on a first-come, first-serve basis.