Authors: Joanna Thomas

Associated Students of CSU Presidents have many duties and responsibilities during their tenure, and their high level of accountabilities and success rarely diminishes after graduation.

Cord Brundage, administrative assistant pro tempore for ASCSU, said former presidents have sought their graduate degree, joined the navy and one became governor.

"(Presidents) don't necessarily move into national prominence, but stay involved in community and city and become advocates, because they have been advocates for students' causes," Brundage said.

One exception is former Gov. Roy Romer, who was ASCSU president during former CSU President William Morgan's tenure, Brundage said.

"A lot of the stuff we do is not government focused, like RamRide, the PR Department and environment, so it doesn't necessarily breed the political attitude," Brundage said.

If people look at the last five years there is a trend of former presidents attending law school or planning to go to law school, Brundage said. Three out of five of the last presidents have attended law school.

"The position tends to produce a law pursuit because they are able to hone and develop skills they acquire here," Brundage said.

One such former president, Dave Bower, the 2002-2003 ASCSU president, is seeking his law degree at the University of Colorado-Boulder.

"It's a funny pattern. Every second or third (former president) ends up in law school," Bower said.

After graduation from CSU with a biology and an economics degree, Bower said he started doing research and teaching but wanted to pursue something more.

"I realized the only real way to make a difference is to go into law school," Bower said.

With his degree Bower said he hopes to work for the government or a public institution to help conserve state natural resources. Even though CU-Boulder has one of the best programs for wildlife law, he still has strong ties to CSU.

"I can say with 100 percent certainty that it's better to be a CSU Ram than stuck here in Boulder, Colo.," Bower said.

Although some former presidents pursue careers in law that is not the path all take.

Bower said he has kept in touch with some past presidents, and they have been just as busy. He said Sean Maddox, the 2001-2002 president, joined the navy on the USS Enterprise.

"He's looking forward to getting out and going back to grad school in higher education," Bowwer said.

The other presidents Bower has kept in touch with have gone on to work in law firms and to graduate school.

Mari Strombom, the adviser for ASCSU, sees a wider variety of career paths for ASCSU presidents. There are a whole variety of paths they follow, including politics, business, full-time parents and working at the university, she said.

"But all over the continuum some have gone on to be very involved in their community," Strombom said.

Barb Kistler, a former ASCSU adviser, agrees.

"They're phenomenal students and leaders that are highly motivated. There wasn't one (president) who wasn't this way in my 20 years," Kistler said.

Kistler, who left ASCSU in 1998 and works in the Student Leadership and Civic Engagement office, said she also saw former presidents go on to be very active politicians, doctors, marketers and consultants.

Jesse Lauchner, last year's ASCSU president, got a job consulting for Hitachi in Denver.

But no matter what career path the former presidents pursue, they stay involved in what's going on at ASCSU, Brundage said.