Living on the links

Authors: Jim Lawn

CSU men's golfer John Hayes has played in eight tournaments this season, averages a score of 73.67 per round, has a lowest-round score of 67 and has three top-20 finishes.

In May, Hayes will be graduating from CSU. He hopes to be on a professional golf tour. The Collegian recently sat down to talk at the team's lone senior.

The Collegian: How much of an impact has your life on the golf course had on shaping you into the person you are today?

John Hayes: Golf has likely had an influence on my attitude and demeanor. Not that I'm a temperamental or intense person, but I believe my mellow attitude was partly defined by learning to control my emotions on the golf course. Golf is also a game of honesty and integrity, so those were values I learned growing up while playing golf.

RMC: You were a captain on your team in high school for two years, and now, being the

teams only senior, do you feel that you are comfortable in the role as a

leader and teacher?

Hayes: Being the only senior this year has been a good experience for me. I'm still trying to adjust to being one of the guys with most of the experience and helping my teammates who haven't played as much. At times it's been an uncomfortable change because I'm not the type of person to be extremely vocal or outspoken. Hopefully I've left some sort of impression.

RMC: Looking back at your career here as both a student and a golfer, what do you

feel are some of you proudest achievements?

Hayes: Being a member of a team that won five times last year was a lot of fun and very rewarding. All five of us put in a lot of hard work throughout the year and to find success and get the most wins in a single year by any CSU golf team in history was great.

RMC: You're a landscape and horticulture major. Do you intend to work in a

golf-related field?

Hayes: Possibly. I'm planning on playing professional golf after I graduate, but with a degree in landscape design, I'm hoping that at some point in time I can work in golf-course design and/or construction.

John's Favorites:

RMC: Band?

Hayes: Pearl Jam.

RMC: Movie?

Hayes: "Boondock Saints."

RMC: Actor/Actress?

Hayes: Kevin Spacey.

RMC: Food?

Hayes: Cheeseburgers.

RMC: Bar/Restaurant in Fort Collins?

Hayes: Washington's.

RMC: Quote?

Hayes: "If you are going to throw a club, it is important to throw it ahead of you, down the fairway, so you don't have to waste energy going back to pick it up." – Tommy Bolt

RMC: Class you have taken at CSU?

Hayes: Communication and Popular Culture.

Hayes and the rest of the golf team will hit the links Friday and Saturday at the Thunderbird Invitational in Phoenix.