Authors: Megan Buettgenbach

Even though it is second semester, plenty of opportunities still exist for freshmen to continue their transition process into college.

Fall semester was the premiere of Ram Welcome, Explore CSU, which is a freshmen transition program that took the place of former freshmen seminars.(more of lead?. . .KK)

Ram Welcome has three parts, wrote Jody Donovan, the director of student transitions and parent and family programs, in an e-mail interview.

These parts include the Ram Connections Mentoring Program, the Strength Training Workshops and the actual four days prior to the start of school.

Bethany Porter, a freshman speech communications major, took part in one of the Ram Connections Mentoring Groups.

Through this group, students work with a faculty member and an upperclassman peer-mentor to learn about goal setting and different resources on campus.

Upperclassmen that are in good academic standing are encouraged to apply for the position of peer mentor for next year.

"For other first year students, it's a good way to meet other first year students and a faculty member," Porter said.

The mentoring groups lasted 12 weeks during the first semester, but will only be eight weeks long next fall. However, the Strength Training Workshops did not stop halfway through the year, and there are a few more opportunities to attend.

"The workshops are open to all students," Donovan wrote. "Once again, students who participate in the workshops have opportunities to win giveaways at the session as well as have their names go into a big prize drawing at the end of the semester for prizes such as an iPod and $100 on a convenience account at the Lory Student Center."

Ram Welcome has many new things planned for the beginning of next year, Donovan wrote, including a carnival, midnight movies, bowling tournaments, Texas Hold 'Em tournaments and more. There are also still opportunities for students to get involved for the fall 2005 semester.

Even upperclassmen are invited to participate in the activities such as the ones put on by Live Life Late in the Lory Student Center.

Another way to get involved is to volunteer.

"We're definitely looking to have student volunteers at all of the events," Donovan wrote. "Last year we had over 1,500 students, staff and faculty volunteer over that four day period. We want to make sure that all the current/returning students know that they are welcome to join in the festivities of Ram Welcome."

For students looking for a deeper way to get involved, they can apply for a Student Assistant Chair position.

"It's a great way to show first year students that CSU is a great place to be at," said Lindsay Sell, the graduate intern for Ram Welcome for the fall. "To show that the volunteers had a good time at CSU and that freshmen can have a great time too."

Besides receiving a gold Ram Welcome t-shirt for their work, volunteers are encouraged to think about what they will be adding to CSU community.

"We are expecting (this year) to be even better (than last year) and more fun," Sell said. "We hope that people who volunteer have a great experience to contribute to Ram Welcome's success."

________________________________________________

Breakout box info:

*Interested in a Student Assistant Chair position? Contact Lindsay Sell at llsell@lamar.colostate.edu

*Want to get involved in Ram Welcome? Contact Jody Donovan at 491-5312 or jody.donovan@colostate.edu

*Interested in learning more about all the Ram Welcome events? Visit ramwelcome.colostate.edu

&

Upcoming Freshman Transition Workshops:

Thursday, April 7, 2005 Coping with Anxiety 4:00-5:00 p.m. Wellness Zone, LSC

Wednesday, April 13, 2005 Spin the Bottle: What YOU need to know about alcohol, moving off campus, and the impact of parties on our community. 11:30 -12:30 p.m. Student Recreation Center Lounge

Tuesday, April 26, 2005 Spin the Bottle: What YOU need to know about alcohol, moving off campus, and the impact of parties on our community.

4:30-5:30 p.m. Room 208, LSC

Wednesday, April 27, 2005 Campus, Community and YOU! What is an Engaged Citizen? 3:00-4:00 p.m. Room 224, LSC