Authors: Scott Bondy

Name: Julia Kloppe

Year: Freshman

Major: Human Development and Family Studies

Favorite sport to watch: Football

Favorite sport to play: Basketball

Favorite Motivational Quote: "Map out your future, but do it in pencil." -Jon Bon Jovi

(According to the CSU Softball media guide)

There were big cleats to fill this season at first base for the CSU softball team after Easten Third Team All-American Ricki Walker graduated last fall.

Luckily for the Rams, they didn't have to look far to fill them.

Julia "Jules" Kloppe is Fort Collins born and bred. At Rocky Mountain High School she impressed and wowed fans for four years, receiving eight total varsity letters, four coming from softball.

The freshman brings a lot of power to the Rams' lineup.

"I'm usually a power hitter. But I also bring base hits," Kloppe said.

There should be no question in anyone's mind that Kloppe is in fact a power hitter. She is the only player to ever hit a homerun out of the park at RMHS.

Some of her accomplishments in high school include First Team All-Conference honors all four years, along with First Team All-State in 2001 and 2003. Kloppe was also named 2003 Colorado Player of the Year.

In her 12th year of softball, Kloppe has shown that she can take her game to the collegiate level and succeed. She is batting .290 with a team-high three homeruns. But Kloppe does have some weaknesses.

"G's (pitcher Genevieve Kelly) changeup is probably my toughest pitch to hit," Kloppe said.

With the little spare time she has, Julia likes to catch movies. Her favorite is "Anchorman."

When it comes to favorite food, she answers without hesitation that Jim's Wings is the easy choice.

Replacing Walker, arguably one of the best softball players to have played at CSU, is not something that will happen right away. Walker finished her career at CSU second in all-time batting average (.368) and doubles (41) while third in home runs (20) and slugging percentage (.584). Walker plays for the Ladies Pro Fastpitch Association.

"There's definitely some pressure," Kloppe said. "But it's kind of a challenge for me to be as good as her."

Her coaches seem to like Kloppe's hard work and daily progress.

"Julia's done well as a freshman," said head coach Mary Yori. "Every time she's been in the lineup, she's hit the ball really well. She has a bright future to grow and learn how to compete daily as we go through conference play."

As the Rams step up to Mountain West Conference play, Kloppe is excited to play.

"I love it. All the girls are awesome. That's the best part."