Authors: James Baetke

Eric Hamrick is up for reelection and his opponent on board for the race in the City Council District 3 is a man of the military, Bob (Diggs) Brown. Hamrick hopes his past endeavor as council member will get him reelected, and Brown hopes his discipline as a Green Beret will get him the seat.

Below are profiles of each candidate and how he stands on the ballot issues and other concerns that directly affect the Fort Collins college population. The candidates are listed in alphabetical order by their last name.

Candidate: Bob (Diggs) Brown

District: 3

Hometown: Fort Collins

Current Employer: Bank of the West

Age: 48

Previous public office: None

Are you in favor of?:

Grocery repeal tax (ballot issue 1): No

Keeping fluoride out of the water (ballot issue 2): No

Road maintenance tax (ballot issue 3): Yes

Proposed police substation in the Campus West neighborhood: Yes

Strong enforcement of the three-unrelated ordinance as it stands today: No

Diggs Brown has spent 26 years in the military, either as a reservist or active duty officer. This strength and discipline in the field is what Brown prides himself on. His experience with money and finance is also an asset he wants to bring to City Council, if elected.

"Most recently, I have returned from a combat tour of Afghanistan. My time in Afghanistan, beyond fighting a war, was also a time of rebuilding schools, communities and eventually a country. I understand what it takes to negotiate between warring factions, I understand what it takes to develop vital economic strategies, Iunderstand communal good," Brown said.

Brown wants to continue seeing Fort Collins grow into a responsible and safe community and he wishes to keep students who graduate from CSU in the city, looking at job opportunities available within Fort Collins. Keeping students here will stimulate economic vitality, Brown said.

"Graduation day should not have to be moving day," Brown said.

Brown would like to see the controversial three-unrelated ordinance revisited and brought up to date. Brown describes the ordinance as a dated law that was made 30 years ago, when the average home was only 1900 square-feet and living with more than three-unrelated people was seen as "unhealthy."

Brown is hopeful he will replace current council member Eric Hamrick, but he said that it all comes down to votes.

"I hope that the students and faculty of CSU exercise their right to vote in this election and not to take for granted this gift from generations of soldiers who have paid the ultimate price for them," Brown said. "I understand that to be a good leader and representative of your constituents one must first of all be willing to listen. I will be serving my neighbors as their representative on this council."

Candidate: Eric Hamrick

District: 3

Hometown: Fort Collins

Current Employer: Hewlett-Packard

Age: 50

Previous public office: City Council District 3, Various Committees

Are you in favor of?:

Grocery repeal tax (ballot issue 1): No

Keeping fluoride out of the water (ballot issue 2): Yes

Strong enforcement of the three-unrelated ordinance as it stands today: Neutral

"As there were four years ago, there are many issues and challenges still facing our community. That is why Ihave decided to seek a second term as District 3 representative on the Fort Collins City Council," Hamrick said.

Hamrick believes he can best relate to the college population of Fort Collins because he has two of his own children attending higher-education institutions. He knows how college students operate with balancing school, work and a social life.

Hamrick prides himself in his ability to keep in touch with his district in the past by holding more than 35 district meetings, and he hopes to be reelected for a second term.

"I really enjoy the opportunity to work with folks to make sure their issues and concerns have a voice on City Council," Hamrick said.

Hamrick is a strong supporter of the city plan for growth. The plan includes annexation when it is needed. Hamrick believes in a high standard for development and land-use codes, which are essential to building a dignified city.

Recreational and cultural amenities are also in Hamrick's plan to create a great city to live in, and he said that must also be in check with environmental protection as well. He is also in favor of small businesses.

"As Fort Collins changes, it is critical to elect a representative to City Council who will carefully balance the decisions made today with the needs of tomorrow," Hamrick said.