Authors: Nick Piburn

CSU men's lacrosse, one of the teams most recognized as powerhouse in club sports, continues to impress. Tuesday night the team was pushed to the brink, but in the end the squad showed what type of team it truly is in a 7-6 double overtime CSU win.

In a matchup of two of the best, No. 1-ranked and undefeated CSU was given a wake-up call by No. 3 Sonoma State, who is also undefeated.

"This team's been on an emotional rollercoaster the last week; a lot of guys have been sick" said senior Tim Farquhar. "With everyone struggling to get together we came out flat to start the game."

Sonoma State jumped on the lackadaisical Rams and led 3-1 at halftime.

"We made some adjustments at halftime," said club president Jason Newell. "We moved Tim Chorey up to forward to help give us a spark."

That move by head coach Flip Naumberg turned out to be a turning point in the game as the Rams came out and dominated the third quarter, scoring three unanswered goals, two by Chorey, to take a 4-3 lead.

The game was a seesaw the rest of the way, but the Rams were able to get their sixth goal of the game with a few minutes remaining in regulation. But Sonoma State capitalized on an unforced turnover by the Rams and scored a late goal to send the game into overtime.

"In the first overtime both teams had a lot of chances to score, but no one was able to capitalize," Newell said.

With neither team able to find the net in the first overtime, one player in particular felt like it was the Rams' game to win, and he planned to make sure it ended the right way.

With about 1:30 remaining in the second overtime, Farquhar advanced the ball toward the net on a one-on-one move and netted the game-winning goal for the Rams.

"Being one of the few seniors on the team, I feel like one of the leaders, and I felt like I could take this game over an put it on my shoulders," Farquhar said. "The game was being played at such a high level, I just knew that I could do it. It was definitely a lot of fun scoring that game winner.

"This team has got so much character, more than any team since I've been here. It's all due to Flip Naumberg. He's the leader of all of us, he really is family, for sure," Farquhar said.

After this win, the No.1 Rams have now beaten the No. 2, 3 and 4 ranked teams. The Rams will host the Colorado School of Mines on Friday at 4 p.m., and also the CSU alumni team, Genesis, at 1 p.m. Saturday.