Authors: Jesse McLain

Once again, CSU students are being attacked by oversized signs and undersized candy in an attempt to buy their votes for the next Associated Students of CSU presidential election.

It is impossible to be anywhere near the Lory Student Center Plaza without being confronted. It is also equally as impossible to distinguish any difference between this year's two opponents, aside from the colors of their signs of course. I mean, what difference does it really make whose face is on next year's newsletter? Or who gets the prime office and parking spot on campus? Unless they're one of your friends of course, and then it obviously pays to have friends in high places – especially come next football season when rivalry-game tickets are hard to get to get your hands on.

Maybe instead of blasting 50 Cent from their boom boxes and seeing who can bring in the cutest dog, candidates could play a CD actually stating the changes that they'll implement, or they could take their names off their enormous signs and actually list out the differences between them and their competition.

Now I'm not one to complain – and most college students won't at the sight of free food and coupons – but the campaign strategies of these respective candidates seem to simply reinforce the stereotype that ASCSU elections make absolutely no difference to the typical non-political CSU student. For instance: What exactly does a quote from "Napoleon Dynamite" have to do with an ASCSU election?

Now I do realize the candidates provide opportunities for students to get to know more about them through the debate forum, but it seems very optimistic to think the average student is going to take time from his or her already hectic schedule in order to listen to additional empty campaign rhetoric.

I'm not saying that the candidates don't claim to stand for something. Maybe they do what to increase class sizes or attempt to lower tuition – but how exactly are they going to change anything? When was the last time noteworthy changes were made? Once the votes are cast it seems inevitable that the candidates will once again fade into the shadows of their offices and out of the students' minds and concerns.

ASCSU does seem to have at least one redeeming quality. There seems to be nothing better to prepare a student for high political prospects – big signs and empty promises. These candidates seem to be mastering the political strategy of the pros.

But if the candidates actually want to get students interested in voting they better start doing more than wearing their shirts and tossing their Dum-Dums. Hopefully some actual changes will be discussed, but if not, I suggest upping the suckers to king-size candy bars.

Jesse McLain is a junior English major. Her column runs every other Thursday in the Collegian.