Authors: James Baetke

The seat for District 1 is up for grabs as current councilman Bill Bertschy is term limited. Two candidates have come to the forefront to battle their way to the Fort Collins City Council.

Their names are Rich Davis and Eric Hamrick.

Below are profiles of each candidate and how he stands on the ballot issues and other concerns that directly affect the Fort Collins college population. The candidates are listed in alphabetical order by their last name.

Candidate: Rich Davis

District: 1

Hometown: Fort Collins

Current Employer: Secure Piers LLC

Age: 34

Previous public office: None

Are you in favor of:

Grocery repeal tax (ballot issue 1): No

Keeping fluoride out of the water (ballot issue 2): No

Road maintenance tax (ballot issue 3): Yes

Proposed police substation in the Campus West neighborhood: No

Strong enforcement of the three-unrelated law as it stands today: No

If it were up to Rich Davis, CSU graduates would have a variety of jobs to choose from right in Fort Collins.

"I believe that the student population is critical to Fort Collins. I also want to ensure that there are jobs in Fort Collins when you graduate," Davis said.

Davis is also against the three-unrelated law – which states that no more than three unrelated people can live together in one home – and said it should be "abolished."

If elected, the first thing Davis wants to do is fix the financial issues that the city is facing. He has an extensive background in finance from working with Hewlett Packard as a financial analyst and having a college degree in business. Davis also said that city government is a business, so it should be run like one.

"Fort Collins can no longer rest on its laurels of being the economic center of Northern Colorado. We need to be more creative in the ways that we generate sales-tax revenue," Davis said.

Candidate: Eric Hamrick

District: 3

Hometown: Fort Collins

Current Employer: Hewlett Packard

Age: 50

Previous public office: City Council District 3, Various Committees

Are you in favor of?:

Grocery repeal tax (ballot issue 1): No

Keeping fluoride out of the water (ballot issue 2): Yes

Proposed police substation in the Campus West neighborhood: Yes

Strong enforcement of the three-unrelated law as it stands today: Neutral

Eric Hamrick believes he can best relate to the Fort Collins college population because he has two of his own children attending higher education institutions. He knows how college students operate in balancing school, work and a social life.

"As there were four years ago, there are many issues and challenges still facing our community. That is why I have decided to seek a second term as District 3 representative on the Fort Collins City Council," Hamrick said. "I really enjoy the opportunity to work with folks to make sure their issues and concerns have a voice on City Council."

Hamrick is a strong supporter of the city plan in growth. The plan includes annexation when it is needed, and Hamrick supports this. He believes in a high standard for development and land-use codes, which he said are essential to building a dignified city.

Recreational and cultural amenities are also on Hamrick's agenda to create a great city to live in. They must also be in-check with environmental protection as well. He is also a supporter of small businesses.

"As Fort Collins changes, it is critical to elect a representative to City Council who will carefully balance the decisions made today with the needs of tomorrow," Hamrick said.