ASCSU election debate

Authors: Erin Tracy

The Associated Students of CSU presidential, vice presidential and senatorial candidates will get a chance to discuss their platforms before students, faculty and the community at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Lory Student Center Theatre.

The Society of Professional Journalists will monitor the debate.

Nicholette Andrews, one of the two candidates for vice president, said she hopes for a good turnout of students at the debate, because it will give students a chance to hear what the candidates stand for.

"The more students that attend, the more students that will be informed when it comes time to vote on April 4, 5 and 6," she said.

The debate also offers an opportunity to understand the platform of the opponent and ask questions about it, Andrews said.

"It's not just students asking us questions, it is also us asking the candidate what they stand for through rebuttals," she said.

Jon Muller, the other vice presidential candidate, said he encourages students to attend the debate so they can ask questions, get to know the candidates and because "it will be a swinging-good time."

The ASCSU senatorial candidates will begin the evening with an opening speech and respond to questions presented by the debate monitors.

Thirty-nine senatorial candidates will be on the ballot, but they are not required to attend the debate.

The question portion of the senator debate is limited to 45 minutes and will be followed by the presidential and vice presidential debate.

Each ticket will get three minutes to make an opening speech, followed by questions from the monitor.

Two types of questions will be asked: questions addressed to both of the tickets and questions directed to individual tickets.

At approximately 8:30 p.m., audience members will have a chance to question the presidential and vice presidential candidates.

"I think the debate will go really well and I am hoping that people go and get the answers they want," Andrews said.

Muller said he and his presidential running mate, Courtney Stephens, hope to discuss the Colorado Opportunity Fund, higher education funding and housing issues.

"They (students) are going to need to know who they are voting for and what they stand for," Muller said. "Because they (candidates) will be their representative to administration, the city and the state."

Andrews said she and her presidential running mate, Chris Hutchins, are "running on vote for P.E.D.R.O," or promotion of pride on campus, effective communication, diversity programming, responding to student needs and optimizing parking and transportation.

"We want to let them know that we are there for them," Andrews said.

If students cannot make the debate they can tune into KCSU after the debate. It will be aired about 10 to 15 minutes after it commences, according to Chris Dittmer, KCSU station manager. Campus Television, channel 25, will be broadcasting the debate at 8 p.m. Friday.

"We want to provide another source for the students and Fort Collins community to get a local insight on the politics here at CSU," Dittmer said.

The broadcast is a way to get more students informed so they will vote on the appropriate candidate, Dittmer said.

"We want to express to the students that this is an important issue and this is where their money is going," Dittmer said. "This voting decision is very important."