Track dominates at home

Authors: Amanda Havekost

Rams track and field athletes braved the elements and made their mark this weekend at the Rob Upton Invitational at the Jack Christiansen Track.

Colorado, Colorado College, Colorado School of Mines, Northern Colorado and Wyoming competed against CSU as well as multiple unattached individuals. Of the 40 events that took place, 16 were won by individual Ram runners or throwers and two were won by CSU rely teams.

Highlighting the list of individual entries was former Ram and 2004 Olympic discus thrower Casey Malone. Malone, who graduated from CSU in 2000 and was inducted into the CSU Hall of Fame in 2004, won the men's discus event with a toss of 58.23.

During the opening meet for the outdoor track and field season on Saturday, four CSU men and one woman qualified for NCAA Regionals.

Throwing Events

The CSU men dominated the throwing events, taking first through fourth in the shot put and first, third, fourth, fifth and sixth in the hammer.

Sophomore Trey Eder took first place in the shot put with a regional-qualifying throw of 54-8. Sophomore Magnus Lohse made a NCAA regional throw of 167-10.

Senior Adam Trainor placed first in the hammer throw with a regional-qualifying throw of 208-9. Trainor also finished second in the shot put.

"It felt good," Trainor said. "There were definitely some things I could improve on."

Trainor said the team did a great job overall at the meet Saturday, especially the runners.

"With cold conditions it's hard to run as good," Trainor said. "But our runners did well despite the weather."

Junior Jace Rivera threw a regional-qualifying throw of 188-10 for a third-place finish in the hammer.

In the men's javelin, sophomore Kevin Johnson had the top finish with a throw of 138-2.

In the high jump, senior Jacob Benson took first after clearing 6-9 and freshman Charles Johnson won the pole vault.

The women throwers represented the Rams as well as the men, taking first and third in the shot put, first, third and fourth in the discus and placing four in the top six in the hammer.

In discus, junior Katie Hansen took first and was the only women's regional qualifier at the meet with a throw of 162-5.

Sophomore Janay DeLoach had a wind-aided jump 20-2 1/2 in the long jump. Since her mark was wind-aided it does not qualify for regionals or break her school record of 20-1 3/4 from last season.

In the shot put event, junior Jaimee Troth won with a throw of 45-1 and was the top collegiate finisher in the hammer throw with a toss of 177-4, missing the regional qualifying mark by four inches.

DeLoach had a first-place finish in the long jump while junior Amanda Huddleston won the triple jump and took second in the long jump.

The high jump was won by freshman Anne McLaughlin after clearing the 5-7 mark.

On the track

For the track events, senior Tom Waido was second overall in the 110-meter hurdles with a time of 15.36. Freshman Kyle Keeler took second in the 400 hurdles.

In the 100, sophomore Denny Majerus and Andy Stenzel took finished second and third, respectively. Senior Brandon Kent was the top collegiate runner in the 400, while junior Brett Melin finished second in the 800.

Sophomore Ryan Kirkpatrick and senior Paul Michel claimed the top two spots in the 1500. Sophomore Matt Cianciulli was the champion in the men's 5000.

The men's 400 relay team took first and the 1600 relay team placed second. The women's 400 meter relay team took first place.

DeLoach and senior Katrice Thomas took the top two places in the 100. Thomas and sophomore Megan Fox took the top two spots in the 200. Fox took first in the 400.

Junior Becky Hammitt took first in the 800. Freshman Rachelle Mims won the 100 and freshman Kirsten Anthony placed first in the 1500.

STAR OF THE MEET: Junior Jaimee Troth won the shot put (13.74) and took the top collegiate spot in hammer throw (54.07).