Authors: Jim Lawn

The men's golf team is California-bound, competing in the Western Intercollegiate hosted by San Jose State today and Tuesday. The tournament will be played at the 6,445 yard/Par 70 Pasatiempo Golf Club in Santa Cruz, Calif. World-renowned golf architect Alister MacKenzie, who is also famous for designing the world-class Augusta National and Cypress Point courses, designed the Passatiempo course.

Last year the Rams finished in 10th place after shooting a three-round 872, and former player Martin Laird finished with a three-round score of 210, good enough for a fourth-place finish.

The tournament's format will be a 54-hole stroke play, with the lowest four scores counted each round for the team total. Teams and individual ties will be broken by a sudden-death playoff. There will be 36 holes played today beginning at 8 a.m. and 18 holes on Tuesday beginning at 8 a.m.

This year's tournament field will consist of 18 teams, including No. 13 UCLA (according to the latest Golfweek/Sagarin performance index), No. 35 California-Riverside, No. 38 Kansas, No. 52 Oregon State, No. 53 Stanford and No. 55 California-Irvine. CSU is sitting at No. 66.

The Rams head into the last leg of their tournament season coming off an impressive sixth-place finish at the 2005 Pioneer Classic in Goodyear, Ariz. The team earned a six-over 294 in the third round to post a final score of 866 for the event.

The remainder of the season consists of the Thunderbird Invitational April 8-9 in Phoenix,. After that, the Rams head to Provo, Utah, to shoot at the Cougar Classic on April 22-23. The Mountain West Conference Championships are slated for the final two days of April in Sunriver, Ore.