Authors: Ryan Skeels

Alright seriously though, how many more unnecessary remakes do you need to make before you realize the garbage bin has been overflowing long before you tried to fit Jude Law's Alfie in there? Apparently it's going to take a lot longer because Bernie Mac and Ashton Kutcher appear to be outside trying to find some extra space between the "Exorcist" and "Texas Chainsaw" rip-offs. This past weekend's release of "Guess Who," a twist to the 1960's "Guess Who's Coming to Dinner" about a black man coming to meet his white girlfriend's parents, was not only unnecessary and outplayed but also not as significant as the original.

Kutcher stars as Simon Green, a successful young man who is happily together with an equally successful young woman Theresa, played by the magnificent Zoe Saldana. Theresa's parent's 25th wedding anniversary is in a week and it is she and Simon's plan to surprise "the fam" by announcing their engagement at the ceremony. Everything is fine and dandy until the two pull up to the house. You see, Theresa has been talking up Simon for some time now giving her parents every last detail, every detail except for on – Simon is a white boy!! This is where Bernie Mac comes in, playing the role of the bigot father who just won't stop with the racial jokes until the ever-present "bonding moment" happens.

There are, admittedly, a few parts that brought a smile or two to a few faces in the theatre. The family dinner scene was surprisingly entertaining and the scene with Theresa's mother's gossip girls was semi-entertaining too, but that's about where it stops. The truth must be known, director Kevin Rodney Sullivan should have realized after he did "Barbershop 2" that he needed to start going in a different direction because this whole black comedy route just isn't cutting it for him anymore.

The way these directors have begun putting their movies together is starting to become sickening to the point of vomit. For the first hour and a half it's all you can do to try and resist walking out of the theatre. Then for the last 20 minutes they cue the emotional music and provide lots of tear-jerking eye contact. The directors make it so hard to remember that for the past hour and a half you were daydreaming about those Squeeze-It's and orange slices you ate after a soccer game back in the fifth grade. Take some advice, if you decide at some twisted point in your life to make a racial comedy, please, please, don't use the "Ebony and Ivory" bit. It's already snuck its way into three movies in the past three months, and that's no joke.

1 out of 4 rams