Authors: Tim Pennington

Program information-

Date: March 24 to June 9

Time: Thursdays, 5:30 to 9 p.m.

Cost: $1,595 Includes two required texts, a framed Certificate of Program Completion and a graduate reception

Spaces: 40 seats, limited availability

A new program focusing on strategies to turn CSU more environmentally friendly began Thursday.

The Green Program, sponsored by the Institute for the Built Environment of CSU, is open to all students, but is geared toward those in the construction and design industries.

Green programs are concerned with creating buildings that are environmentally responsible, profitable and healthy. Many students find this responsibility an important factor on an environmentally aware campus like CSU. Many of the green practices use sustainable matter that is recycled, natural and locally manufactured, durable and energy efficient.

"I think this is a great program to have at CSU," said CSU President Larry Penley. "Our campus will prosper greatly from it."

The program is an on-campus, 12-week program and will provide students with the knowledge to adapt and grow with the practice of "green."

"Here at CSU we are all about green," Penley said. "If we can't be the greenest school, I don't know who can."

Some students think the concept is positive for campus.

"I think going green is a really great idea," said Derek Pate, a sophomore civil engineering major. "People definitely need to be more informed about the green projects."

With two successful programs already in place in Denver, IBE is excited to open up the classroom doors in northern Colorado. The IBE has been doing numerous projects since 1995, including plans for the new high school, Fossil Ridge, to be built in southern Fort Collins.

"Just go look at Guggenheim, they have done some amazing advancements over there," Penley said.

All the renovations of Guggenheim Hall were completed using green construction practices. The light fixtures, carpet and even the paint met rigorous requirements. These improvements, completed in 2003, demonstrate that sustainable building practices can become a reality.

"It's a concern to me because a lot of people think that green projects are more expensive," Pate said. "But in reality they are much cheaper in the long run."

The Green Building Certificate Program is also committed to providing critical information about Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED), which is the nationwide rating system of the U.S. Green Building Council. The council is committed to promoting environmentally friendly standards within the building industry.

Individuals can take a test on the LEED rating system, giving them an advantage in the construction field.

"The students that take this program will be well prepared for the LEED exam," said Gailmarie Kimmel, the Program Advisor for IBE.

The Web site boasts "over 80 percent of our students have successfully passed the LEED Professional Accreditation exam within a month of completing this Certificate Program."

The IBE program will bring CSU students these advancements in furthering the education and involvement of students in the continual evolution of building and design elements.

"This is an exciting time in the building industry," said Brian Dunbar, the program director of IBE on the company's Web site. "LEED- guided, healthy, high-performance buildings are quickly becoming the standard for progressive cities, school districts, and the private sector."

The program starts today and has room for 40 students. As of Tuesday there were several spots still available. The program runs from 5:30 to 9 p.m. and more information can be found at www.ibe.colostate.edu.

"There is a place for all disciplines in this comprehensive, collaborative practice," Dunbar said.