Authors: J.J. Babb

A memorial service honoring former CSU President William E. Morgan will be at 2 p.m. today at the University Center for the Arts, 1400 Remington St.

Morgan died Thursday morning in his home at age 95.

While Morgan was CSU president from 1949 to 1969, the student body grew from 1,800 to 18,000 students. He was later named president emeritus.

"President Morgan clearly set the standard for all of us who have been fortunate enough to follow in his footsteps. He was a man of great vision and even greater humility, who was as loved as he was admired by those who knew and worked with him," wrote CSU President Larry Penley in an e-mail to students.

In 1957 Morgan led the change in CSU's name from Colorado Agricultural and Mechanical College to Colorado State University.

Morgan attended Harvard during the beginning of World War II and then served in the military from 1942 to 1946. He was promoted to colonel while serving as executive officer to chief of operations, Allied Air Staff, China-Burma-India Theatre.

"President Morgan served our nation through his distinguished work with the New Deal and the Marshall Plan, but perhaps his greatest legacy is the imprint he left on our own campus. He led the transformation of Colorado's agricultural college into a full-fledged university, and fought tirelessly for the growth and welfare of this institution throughout the decades he served in the president's chair," Penley wrote.

After World War II ended, Morgan served as president of Arkansas A & M College. He was then recommended to the presidential position at CSU.

"And I would have to admit, I was intrigued with the title of president. Somebody recommended me for the vacant job at Colorado A & M College," Morgan said in a 2003 interview with the Collegian. "Here was the opportunity to be president of a statewide college and I was 39 years old and I thought, 'I know I can do it.'"

For his hard work at the university, the library he helped to bring to campus was named after him.

"The Morgan name will always remain a proud part of our campus history, and we are truly thankful," Penley wrote.