Authors: Jim Lawn

Despite a valiant comeback try for first place, the CSU men's golf team took second place at this week's Irish Spring Invitational in Orlando, Fla.

On the tournament's final day the Rams trailed first-place team Wichita State by 13 strokes. The Rams shot a 304 in the final round, the best score out of the 13-team field. The Rams finished with an overall three-round score of 889, just three strokes short of Wichita State.

Junior Kevin McAlpine and sophomore Aaron Weston both shot final-round scores of three-over 75 to solidify the Rams' second-place finish. The duo also shot three-round combined scores of 220 strokes each to tie for second place in the individual standings. Judd Easterling of Wichita State won the individual title with a three-round score of 215.

Senior John Hayes and sophomore Derrick Whiting both shot a five-over 77 in the final round. Whiting finished in a tie for ninth place with a three-round score of 225. Hayes finished in a tie for 11th place with a three-day score of 226.

The tournament was hosted by the Notre Dame Fighting Irish and played at the 6,901/Par 72 Mission Inn Resort El Campeon Course. El Campeon, or "The Champion," was built in the 1920s and is one of the oldest championship courses in the South.

The Rams are headed back into tournament play on March 15-16 when they head to Phoenix for the Steve Kerr Invitational hosted by the University of Denver.

The CSU women's golf team took ninth this week at the Jose State Spartan Invitational at Corral de Tierra Country Club in Salinas, Calif. Rams senior Kristen Campos carded an even-par 71 on Wednesday to lead the squad with a three-round total of 221. Campos finished in a tie for 15th individually in the tournament, matching Fresno State's Meggie Fagundes.

CSU freshman Chelsea Benton finished with a three-round total of 223 after a final-round 74 and ended in a tie for 18th overall. UCLA won the team title with a 16-over 868 in tournament play.

The women's team will be in tournament play again on March 15-16 in the Anteater Invitational in Irvine, Calif.