Women unable to outlast BYU

Authors: Stephanie Lindberg

DENVER – Beating a team three times in a row is a feat not often achieved, butf or the Brigham Young Cougars, Wednesday night was the perfect time to do just that.

After a close game, the Cougars defeated the CSU women's basketball team in the first round of the Mountain West Conference 70-65.

"It's nice to be able to win a game that close," said BYU head coach Jeff

Judkins.

After trading points, BYU took a 4-0 run to lead the Rams 13-4 early in the first half. The Rams surged back to take their first lead with 10 minutes in the first half 16-15 off a 3-point shot by freshman guard Sara

Hunter.

Hunter sank seven 3-point shots to set a MWC freshman record for 3-pointer in a single game. She led all players with 25 points.

"We just wanted to go after them," Hunter said. "But we didn't make the plays we needed to."

The teams traded leads 12 times in the first. BYU took a 40-34 lead into the second half off two Ambrosia Anderson baskets.

Coming out of halftime the teams traded possessions before BYU scored to make the score 42-34. The Rams went on a run to tie the score at 42 and then take the lead with 10:56 on the clock.

After several more lead changes, BYU took the lead at 62-53. But the Rams pressed back to tie the score at 63 with 1:25 left to play.

The Cougars took a 65-63 lead off two foul shots by Julie Sullivan, and Melinda Johnson sank a basket to increase the lead to five.

A field goal by Hunter brought the Rams within three with just seconds left

in the game but a Johnson pass to Anderson sealed the game in the Cougars' favor, 70-65.

Sullivan led the Cougars with 22 points and Anderson finished the game with 19 points.

Despite the loss, Melissa Dennett was hopeful that the consistent

play would carry into the next season, when the Rams will return all but one player.

"We had a bunch of ups and downs," Dennett said. "We played really well at the end so I hope that will carry into next year."