Authors: Nick Piburn

While the season didn't end up the way the CSU hockey team originally hoped, one fact proves the season was a success,

"We did better than last year," said club president Jordan Stover.

The team ended its season last weekend at the American Collegiate Hockey Association's Nationals at Oakland University in Detroit. The team lost its first game against Wagner 5-4, but then rebounded to beat Davenport 3-2 in overtime, with the game-winning shot coming with just six seconds remaining. CSU then finished with a 4-1 win over Liberty. The team's loss to Wagner is what prevented it from moving on in the tournament.

"At first the team was really upset," Stover said. "We were able to move on though, and no one gave up."

With the season over, players on the team will split up and do their own thing.

"A lot of players will join adult leagues," Stover said. "But for us who have to set everything up for next year, we will be trying to beef up our schedule a bit, try to play some better games."

The women's rugby team is continuing its progression since being added as a club team in the fall.

The Rams have faced some top opponents this season, including its game Thursday against Northern Colorado. While the Rams played some solid defense, they couldn't score a try and ended up losing 7-0.

"We gave it all our effort," said senior Carrie Catlin. "It was probably the most hard-fought game these two teams have ever played."

With the tough loss against UNC, the Rams dropped to 2-4-1. There is a lot of optimism, however, with how this team can finish the season.

"For a new team on campus, I'm really impressed with how well the team has meshed," Catlin said.

The team is off until March 26, when it will travel to Laramie to play Wyoming.

The women's lacrosse team has been around for a little while, but it is also a team that is showing major improvement. The team dominated Air Force Saturday for a 16-1 win, with Lindsay Brown leading the team offensively.

"With all the freshmen coming in, it has been a little different," said head coach Jaime Whitlock. "We're starting to look really good though, and certain players are starting to mesh."

Assistant coach Nikki Wingate and JV head coach Lori Browning — both former CSU players — likely aids this meshing of players.

"This team is better than last year's team and that was our first team to go to nationals," Whitlock said. "This team could and should win nationals. If we were ever to (win nationals), this is the year we should do it."

The team has two weeks off before it plays Brigham Young and Utah March 26.