Authors: Dominic Graziano

Of the many clubs here at CSU, some are a little more obscure than others. One thing is true though, whether it is aerial handsprings with the gymnastics club, jousting with the Medieval Society or even making fun of bad movies with the MSTies, unknown clubs can provide top-notch entertainment to their members and spectators.

Kim Chotvacs, a senior chemistry major and president of the gymnastics club, said the club has been around for more than four years and each year it welcomes more people who want to continue or start doing gymnastics.

Each fall the club has about 40 members, which includes cheerleaders, dancers and other people who are interested in gymnastics, Chotvacs said.

"The focus of our club is to give people a place to do gymnastics," Chotvacs said. She added that the bi-weekly meetings at the Mountain Center, 419 E. Stuart St., are her favorite part of the week.

"I get very excited about gymnastics," Chotvacs said, "and anyone is welcome to come and watch us practice."

President Jason Leland of the Medieval Society said the club is dedicated to educating people about the Middle Ages. The members' knowledge ranges from the art of fencing to the arts and crafts associated with Renaissance times.

According to its web page, www.unserhafen.org, the Medieval Society has practice fighting every Sunday at the CSU Field House located on College Avenue near the gymnasium.

Nonmembers are welcome to watch the fighting outside the field house or the fencing inside.

"People stop by when they see us setting up," Leland said. "Sometimes spectators come to watch and we will invite them to join in."

Spectators watch, and sometimes join in, for different reasons.

"The entertainment value lies somewhere along the lines of a warped boxing mentality," Leland said.

The Mystery Science Theatre 3000 Anonymous Club, better known as the MSTies, has been on campus for about four years, said Noah Sodano, co-founder and senior art and computer science double major.

"Mystery Science Theatre 3000" is a TV show that has actors, real and robotic, tearing apart old poorly made movies, according to the MSTies Web site, www.msties.com

Sodano, who now acts as an adviser, helped create the club in 2000 and has been a member ever since.

"We have had a pretty steady showing since we went weekly in the fall of 2003," Sodano said.

"Each week we get about 70-80 people, 40 of which I would say are regulars who come every week," said Colin Strack, sophomore biology major and acting "potentate" of the club.

Spectators come to the Friday night showings at the Associated Students of CSU Senate Chambers for the program's entertainment value.

"The laughter is probably a good thing, thus by extraction the enjoyment is pretty good, too," Strack said.

Sodano said the big audience is a good thing.

"I think it's really cool to see that there's this much of an audience, that so many people appreciate quality entertainment," Sodano said.