Authors: Ryan Skeels

The only thing that could possibly beat the good times of watching this story on the big screen would be seeing it in its original form as a play. Tyler Perry wrote both versions and plays the role of three different people in his comedy/romance/revenge flick "Diary of a Mad, Black Woman." It's hard to think of a time when it may be appropriate to mix marriage problems, psychotic women and slapstick comedy together, but Perry may have found it.

The story follows Kimberly Elise as Helen, a woman whose world turns upside down in the blink of an eye and is forced to tip it back over just as fast. She's been married to big-time defense attorney Charles for 18 years and is preparing to celebrate their anniversary when the bomb gets dropped right in her lap – Charles has been seeing another woman for some time now and has the kids to prove it.

Instead of talking about the problems with Helen, he decides to take the drastic route and literally throws her out of his house. Helen, having not lived on her own in more than 15 years, is forced to crawl back to the relatives she had long since abandoned. "Diary of a Mad, Black Woman" is a story of love lost, rekindled love and revenge all tossed together in a sweet sauce of laughter and tears.

Elise is elegant as always and a pleasure to watch. The nominee for best role in this one would have to go to Perry's part as Madea, Helen's gun-toting, trigger-happy grandmother. She is reminiscent of the entire Klump family in "Nutty Professor" and still has enough charm to bring tears, which starts to happen a lot as the movie is wrapping up.

The transitions from the emotionally serious parts to the hilariously funny parts are a bit weird at first, but start to smooth out over the course of the story. At first you won't know whether to take the characters seriously or with a grain of salt, especially as Madea is introduced.

As the movie rolls on, however, it will become apparent that these people aren't here only to make you laugh or only to make you cry but to let you take them in and roll with their emotions. It's amazing at how much you'll hate a character one scene and find yourself in love with him or her the next.

3 out of 4 rams