Authors: Ryan Skeels

For the past 10 years or so there has been an unsettling change in the horror movie industry. After Wes Craven made the movie "Scream," there was a huge boost in the horror film's popularity, and it seemed that everyone in Hollywood was hell-bent on making the most clich� and cheesy slasher/creature movie they could.

Ever since that surge of terrible movies, it has always been a risky trip down to the theater when a new one comes out. This past weekend, however, the tides finally turned with the release of Wes Craven's latest nightmare-making, werewolf-hugging funfest "Cursed."

Ellie and little brother Jimmy are driving home down Mulholland Drive late one night when an animal jumps onto their hood, causing them to collide with an oncoming car and slam it over the rail and down the hill. When the two climb down the hill to make sure the driver is still alive, the animal attacks and both of them end up going home with scratches. Little do they know that it wasn't just any old creature and that their bodies aren't going to heal into the same old bodies they had before. After all, you know what they say, what doesn't kill you makes you stronger.

It's hard to imagine too many people wanting to see this movie after such a terrible preview was released for it. There have been too many bad horror movies lately and a lot of people are tired of paying too much money to see them. It's really a surprise that Craven let his production team release a preview that makes his movie seem like the boring, emotionless trash that it is the exact opposite of.

The story is fresh and a relief to watch, the suspense is perfect, and the acting is great with Christina Ricci and Joshua Jackson taking the helm and bringing plenty of cringing smiles to the faces of moviegoers near and far. Ricci's little brother, Jimmy, played by Jesse Eisenberg, is definitely the favorite character though, as his one-liners are absolutely amazing and sure to put you in the aisle with laughter. The only downfall to the entire movie are two romance scenes that come out of nowhere and do absolutely nothing, which is more puzzling than anything else.

Hopefully "Cursed" will mark the day horror went away with the old and in with the new. Craven has created a monster with this one. It's got great makeup, great deaths, great dialogue and Christina Ricci looking great the entire time. For an unexpectedly fun hour and a half, bring five bucks and five friends to an afternoon under a full moon.

3 out of 4 ramwolves