Authors: Sarah Rawley

The Banff Mountain Film Festival will be unveiling its 2004 festival award winning films 7:30 p.m. Saturday in the Lory Student Center Theatre.

As apart of its world tour, the Banff Mountain Film Festival brings the world's best films on mountain subjects from the 29th annual festival in Banff, Canada to outdoor enthusiasts across the continent and the world.

The Outdoor Adventure Program hosted this venue in 2002, and is bringing it back because of popular demand.

"There's a big (demand) for it, because people in Fort Collins are very recreationally based," said Jon Athan, a junior national resource recreation and tourism major, who works at the adventure program. "It's a tradition here."

Rodney Ley, head of the Outdoor Adventure Program, will choose, with a film festival representative, what films will be shown from the 2004 festival-award winners.

Films on tour range from experimental shots, such as the dog sledding film "Hike Hike Hike," to adrenaline-infused adventures hurdling down mountains, whitewaters and mountain biking trails, to breathtaking documentaries such as "Daughters of Everest" that journey with the first-ever Everest expedition of Sherpa women.

"Many people want to live a mountain lifestyle, and this is basically a two-hour display of the best parts of the mountain lifestyle," Athan said.

Fort Collins is one of the 250 stops of the world tour that include locations such as Fairbanks, Alaska; Torres del Paine, Chile; Bellingham, Washington; and Tokyo, Japan.

Doors open at 7 p.m. Mountain companies will be present at the venue with gear and free samples. Seats are first come, first serve. Tickets can be purchased for $10 from the Outdoor Adventure Program.