Authors: Nick Piburn

The season's first games can be tough, especially when the other teams have already been playing for a month. This was the situation the CSU women's lacrosse team faced last weekend in California.

The Rams went into the Cal Poly classic with expectations of winning it, and while that didn't happen, the team at least showed how competitive it will be this season.

CSU went 1-1-1 in the classic, tying UCLA 10-10 in the first game, losing to host and eventual tournament runner-up Cal Poly 9-7 in the second game, and beating preseason No. 1 Michigan 13-9 in the final game. The team was led by Juli Ramirez, who made the all-tournament team as an attack wing, along with Dana Nilson on the defensive wing.

"All the teams took the tournament very serious," said club president Jen Gunlikson. "The atmosphere reminded me of what nationals was like last year."

Despite not winning the classic the games were what the team needed to get ready to take on the league.

"The tournament was good for us to see how everybody is playing," Gunlikson said. "We now know what we need to work on."

The Rams will travel down to Denver on Saturday to play in the Colorado Play Day, a tournament hosted by Regis. The field of teams includes Air Force, Colorado, Northern Colorado, Regis and several post-collegiate club teams. Both the green and white squads will compete in the tournament.

After getting its first games completed, the CSU baseball team is starting to play the way it thinks it should.

After winning just one of their first five games against junior college powers Lamar and Otero, the Rams took the two games they played against Arapahoe Community College by a combined score of 14-3.

"Our pitching's been pretty good to start the season," said club president David Schultz. "We started to hit a lot better last weekend, before we couldn't string anything together offensively."

Two players, Andrew Abell and Thomas Ahrens, have led the strong pitching for the Rams.

"It was nice to be able to get a few more runs for the staff last weekend," said Schultz.

The Rams, who are still looking forward to March 1 when they can practice full-time outside, will travel to Greeley this weekend to scrimmage the Colorado Buffaloes. However, the real season starts next weekend when the Rams have their first conference games against Wyoming at home.