Authors: Chris Tarver

CSU has competed with the University of Colorado in athletics and a recent blood drive, and now students are competing in a national recycling competition.

The national competition involves 49 universities including Brigham Young University, Harvard and Massachusetts Institute of Technology.

Within the CSU community, there will be one winner from Residence Life and one winner from Apartment Life.

The competition began Jan. 30 and will conclude April 9. The winning teams will be awarded with a trophy and a pizza party at the Earth Day celebration on the Lory Student Center Plaza April 22.

The competition is designed to promote recycling education. Although this is CSU's first year in the competition, Tana Fischer, custodial supervisor at Summit Hall, said there are plans to make this an annual event for the university.

CSU got involved after the recycling committee received information about the competition and thought it would be a fun and innovative activity to promote recycling on campus.

The residence halls provide containers for plastic, aluminum, cardboard and glass so students can recycle used goods. Containers for empty pizza boxes, yogurt containers and butter tubs have also been added along with magazines and newspapers. These containers are then picked up and transported to Larimer County landfill's recycling center.

Some residence halls have teamed up in this recycling effort. Summit and Edwards halls, currently tied for third place, are combined because Summit Hall does not have a dining facility.

According to Fischer, Apartment Life is generating more pounds of recycling goods per student than the residence halls because generally families are contributing instead of one or two students. The Aggie South team is dominating the university apartment competition.

The items are collected from the sites to determine how much is being recycled. Then the items are recycled and divided by how many students and staff members are in each area.

"We're leasing the land and what we do affects generations to come." Fischer said. "And we can do so much better in keeping our environment healthy."

Students are not required to participate but some agree with Fischer and feel there is a need to recycle and help make students aware about the damage being caused to the planet.

"I wasn't big into recycling until I saw an ad about RecycleMania. I think people should take care of the environment," said Angie Miller, sophomore human development and family studies major.

"It's important for us as college students to take a minute to care," Miller said.

Miller takes pride in the fact that she is attempting to make a difference as well as the fact that her residence hall, Durward, is currently in first place.

Freshman microbiology major David Vong is another participant in the competition who happens to recycle all the time. Vong adamantly feels that recycling is a very important issue.

"I think everyone should do it." Vong said. "So no resources are wasted."