Authors: Anne Farrell

The CSU women's softball team returned from the Troy Cox Classic in Las Cruces, N.M., with 7-5 record on the season.

After a disappointing first day, with losses against both the Texas-San Antonio Roadrunners and the No. 19 Nebraska Cornhuskers, the Rams picked up the pace for the rest of the weekend.

During Friday's first game against UTSA, the Rams took an early lead with a home run by senior catcher Kerry Farrell that also scored senior second basemen Stephanie Roberts. The Roadrunners countered the Rams attack by putting up four runs of their own in the bottom on the first inning. Sophomore Jessica Strickland relieved junior starting pitcher Genevieve Kelly after Kelly gave up four runs on three hits during the first.

The Rams caught up with a home run by Roberts in the third and tied the score at four in the fourth. The Rams' first lead of the game was taken in the fifth with a two-run home run by freshman first baseman Julia Kloppe.

The Roadrunners took the lead again in the final inning to win 7-6. Roberts finished the game with 1-for-2 and one RBI while Kloppe ended hitting 3-for-4 with two RBIs and one run scored.

"(Kloppe's) been hitting the ball very well," said head coach Mary Yori. "She continues to come up with big hits."

For Friday's second game, the Rams found themselves facing the No. 19 Nebraska Cornhuskers in a low-scoring game. Nebraska took a one-run lead in the bottom of the first before the Rams tied it up with a run in the second. Nebraska hit a home run in the bottom of the fifth inning, to win the game 2-1.

Saturday showed more promise for the Rams as they began the day by defeating New Mexico State 8-0. Five Rams led the way to this victory with two-hit games, and both Roberts and Kloppe smacked their second home runs of the weekend, keeping the Rams' heads high above the water line.

The classic was wrapped up with a win against the New Mexico Lobos on Saturday night and another Sunday morning over Loyola-Chicago.

New Mexico was off to a bright start Saturday night with a 5-0 lead after the third inning. Holding the Lobos scoreless for the remainder of the game, CSU was able to put itself on the scoreboard in the fifth inning with a hit by senior shortstop Brittany Burtner to center field that brought Kloppe home. The sixth inning welcomed more Ram runs, bringing the score to 5-4 New Mexico. In the seventh inning, junior pitch-hitter Melanie Laffoon stepped up to the plate and sent the game-winning, two-run homer over the fence in the highlight play of the weekend.

Sunday's game against the Loyola Ramblers finished the weekend up with an 11-1 Rams' victory. Freshman outfielder Molly Gallu started the Rams' scoring raid with an RBI single that knocked in freshman third baseman Lauren Cusick.

The rapidly rising lead was taken again by CSU with six runs in the third inning and four more in the fourth. Kelly chalked up a complete game, striking out five batters over the course of five innings.

The Rams will be back on the road next weekend at the University of Tulsa Tournament Friday-Sunday.