Authors: Anne Farrell

While the softball diamond will be frosted with snow this weekend, the CSU softball team will be off to a slightly warmer location for the 28th annual Troy Cox Classic hosted by New Mexico State in Las Cruses, N.M.

After going 4-3 in a road trip to San Luis Obispo, Calif., Feb. 2-6, the Rams have spent the last week and a half preparing for the Classic.

"Everyone is excited to get back outside and start playing again," said head coach Mari Yori.

The Rams will be playing five games this weekend. all against equally challenging opponents. The tournament will include non-conference games against the New Mexico State Aggies (4-0), the Loyola-Chicago Ramblers (0-0), the Nebraska Huskers (1-2) and the Texas at San Antonio Roadrunners (4-5).

This weekend classic will also show the first Mountain West Conference game against the New Mexico Lobos. (Why is this team not mentioned above?) The Lobos enter the classic with a 0-5 record. While the Lobos will be a challenge because they are a conference team Coach Mari Yori expects that every team this weekend will be equally a challenge.

The Rams will take the field at 11 a.m. today in a game against UTSA. Last season the Roadrunners beat out the Rams in extra innings. The second game of the tournament will be this afternoon against No. 18 Nebraska.

Saturday the Rams are set to play both New Mexico and New Mexico State. They will round out the trip with a game Sunday against Loyola.