Authors: By Bob Fernandez

The road has not been kind to the CSU women's basketball team.

Going into Thursday night's game at UNLV's Cox Pavilion, the Rams were 3-5 away from Moby this season.

Thursday night saw more of the same as the Rams fell to the Rebels by a score of 71-58.

After trailing by 15 points in the first half, the Rams came back to take a 53-51 lead with 7:43 left in the game after sophomore forward Kylee O'Dwyer drilled a 3-pointer.

However, after going on an 8-0 run earlier in the second half, the Rebels went on a 15-0 run in the final minutes of the game to secure the victory. The Rams scored just five points after O'Dwyer's 3-pointer at the 7:43 mark.

Despite the loss, CSU head coach Chris Denker praised his team's efforts in battling back from a big first-half deficit.

"I thought our kids did a nice job of climbing back," Denker told KCOL 600. "In the second half we really came back strong, made a nice run and ultimately took the lead … the heart and effort showed."

CSU was led by junior guard Vanessa Espinoza with a team-best 14 points to go along with five assists. O'Dwyer chipped in with eight points, six assists and two rebounds.

UNLV was led in scoring by senior forward/center RanDee Henry, who poured in a game-high 18 points and also grabbed seven rebounds.

The Rams were out-rebounded by UNLV 48-26.

With the loss, CSU has lost three games in a row and has fallen to an overall record of 13-9 and a MWC record of 4-5, which puts the team at fifth in the conference standings. UNLV improved its record to 13-10 overall, 4-5 in MWC.

The Rams are in the midst of a three-game road trip. They will play in the second game of their road trip Saturday night (6 p.m. MST) in San Diego, Calif., when they take on the San Diego State Aztecs.

SDSU is 7-15 and 1-8 in MWC after losing to Wyoming Thursday night by a score of 69-66. The Rams are 1-0 against SDSU, having beaten the Aztecs 63-50 at Moby Arena on Jan. 20.