Authors: Christina RollerBy Christina Roller

Beginning and advanced classes available evenings Monday through Friday and Sunday, Saturday afternoon.

No space limit

Cost: $4 per class.

Unlimited semester passes may be purchased for $59.

"Mind Body in Motion,"

4:30-8:30 p.m. on Feb. 24

Student Recreation Center

Free to students

Will provide a more detailed description of Mind Body program, as well as other clinics, programs and classes that promote understanding of the mind-body connection such as Belly-Dancing, Tai Chi and Massage.

Students are always seeking a solution to the pressure and stress that are often inevitable parts of college life. Now a new form of exercise is being increasingly recognized as a way to help to relieve these feelings-yoga.

"I think people really want something to practice that makes them feel good physically, emotionally and spiritually, and I think yoga does that," said Mariya Kasow, an instructor who teaches Yoga Flow, a new class at the Student Recreation Center.

Kasow said she has noticed the recent increase in popularity of yoga among college students. She said part of its popularity is that the benefits of yoga can be reaped by anyone who chooses to try it.

"I went to my first class with friends and I came back because I really liked it," said Eric Sainio, a freshman history major.

The Yoga Flow class is just one of the three new yoga classes developed this semester. The other two are called The Practice and Easy Stretch Yoga.

These new yoga classes are part of the Mind Body program originated by Tamar Cline at the recreation center. This program was developed during the fall semester of 2003 and consists of five different types of yoga classes. They are taught by a variety of teachers. Two different levels of pilates classes are taught by three different teachers, as well.

"The Mind Body program was originated as part of the Strength and Fitness program to offer more of a drop-in basis for classes that would fit with students' crazy schedules," Cline said.

This semester has been the most successful semester so far concerning participation in the Mind Body program because people are realizing it is available, Cline said. The classes contain between 20 and 25 people per class as opposed to the 8 to 15 people per class during past semesters; as well as about 200 people who have purchased unlimited passes for the spring semester as opposed to about 130 people who purchased passes last semester, she said.

The new Yoga Flow class is mainly based on Hatha Yoga.

"Hatha yoga concentrates mainly on the physical aspects of the practice and is a series of flowing postures that incorporate the breath with movement," Kasow said.

People usually first attempt yoga as a means for staying in shape or because they have a specific complaint they are trying to relieve.

Lindsay McComb, a sophomore open-option major, has been doing yoga for one month.

" I had been interested in it for a while and it seemed really cool … a good way to get in shape," she said.

Yoga is becoming increasingly popular on campus, according to Sarada Holik, another Yoga Flow instructor at the recreation center.

"I think people are learning about yoga and what it can do for you; its benefits," she said.

Tracy Davern, a graduate ecology student at CSU, said she is reaping the benefits of her newfound practice of yoga.

"I decided to try it this semester out of curiosity and I noticed I am more relaxed and I can stretch farther," Davern said.

Cline said the spring semester is a busy time for people to begin or seek new exercise regimens.

"The Mind Body program offers a different avenue for people to get fit beyond the traditional forms of exercise," Cline said.

She said participation in the program offers physical, mental and emotional benefits to its participants.

"The main benefits that I have observed personally are when I'm upset I can calm down and when I need energy I can tap into it," Holik said. "I can adjust myself to situations more easily and I am more focused."

Cline said these benefits correlate closely with the effects yoga has on the mind.

"We are starting to learn through science that the mind affects the body and that there is a mind-body connection," Cline said.

The positive effects yoga has on the mind often result in positive effects produced within the body.

"I no longer have aches and pains in my back and neck, I have better posture, I'm stronger, more flexible and I am more present," Kasow said.

Kasow said the most important thing for yoga participants to remember is to "have awareness and acceptance of where you're at in the poses and to be mindful in postures."

Both instructors said they intend to continue to practice yoga for the rest of their lives.

"One of the original reasons people started to do yoga was to lengthen their life-span," Holik said.

Cline said the classes are composed of a diverse group of people including athletic and non-athletic people, traditional and non-traditional students, people who are in shape and people who are not in shape. She said the majority of participants are women, although there are more men who participate in the Mind Body classes than any other fitness class.