Authors: Nick Piburn

Traditionally one of the top club sports teams at CSU, the men's lacrosse team started its new season the way it wanted last weekend.

The United States Lacrosse Intercollegiate Associates' No. 2 team swept the competition at a tournament at Texas at Arlington.

CSU played a total of four games, dominating each team and outscoring them with a combined score of 86-18. The first game of the season against Auburn started the winning streak.

"We dominated the game start to finish, winning the game 23-2," said club president Jason Newell. "The game was a great chance to get a good win under our belt, and for our whole team to play."

The Rams continued the domination, beating Texas Tech 21-7, No. 13 Texas A&M 24-7 and No. 20 Texas 18-2.

After last weekend's success in Texas the Rams have this weekend off, but they will travel south to Colorado Springs to face Division-III Colorado College on Feb. 26.

The Rams have a long season ahead of them, but they know the way they approach each game will help determine their success.

"We are going to take this season one game at a time," Newell said. "We can only worry about ourselves, and make sure were ready to play."

Another club with high expectation's for the season is the women's lacrosse team. Ranked No. 8 in the Women's Division of Intercollegiate Associates to start the season, the Rams have some huge matchups this weekend at the Cal-Poly Classic in San Luis Obisto, Calif.

"This weekend is our first test," said club president Jen Gunlikson. "We haven't had any real games outside all year and all the California teams have been playing outside for about a month."

Despite the disadvantage, the Rams are confident they can put up a good showing in a talent-loaded tournament, with five of the nine teams competing in the WDIA top 10.

"We know our team has a relatively young attack, but our goal is to win every game," Gunlikson said. "I think we have just as good of chance to win this tournament as anybody."