Authors: Adam Ebner

The Colorado Chill broke loose Sunday night and never looked back, easily defeating the San Jose Spiders 89-54. The win put an end to a two-game losing streak while extending the teams' home winning streak to 19 games.

From the start, it appeared that the Chill were going to dominate the game. They took advantage of poor shooting by the Spiders, making transition baskets and finding open shots to build a 46-28 lead at half. Every player on the team made contributions, but the play of forward Carrie Bacon was outstanding as she dropped in 17 of the Chill's points at half. It also made things much easier for the team in that they only had three turnovers at the break to the delight of Chill head coach Kelly Packard.

"When we can take care of the ball like that, it gives this team a great chance (to win) every night," Packard said.

While the team continued to roll in the second half, San Jose could do little to stop the NWBL's first-place Chill. Packard found time to involve each of her players on this night while many of the starters exited the game early to loud ovations. The women played an unselfish game all night with 11 players scoring.

San Jose (1-9) came into the game off of their first win of the season the previous night. Unfortunately for the Spiders, the lack of depth was no match for the balance of the Chill (9-3), and they never showed signs of making any sort of comeback in the game. Their best effort was Amisha Carter's 21 points. The team saw little offense elsewhere, shooting 30 percent for the game, often settling for difficult outside shots. Spider head coach Tracy Carpenter was disappointed with the letdown, but acknowledged the great play by Colorado.

"Our margin for error was very small tonight," Carpenter said. "They made us play bad, and that's what the good teams can do."

Colorado was quite the opposite, running away with a game in the 35 point blowout that became the most lopsided in franchise history. Bacon was dominating before heading to the bench midway through the second half. She left to a standing ovation from the crowd and her teammates, exiting the court with a game-high 22 points. Packard said the team made a conscious effort to get her the ball more in the post, and it showed. Bacon and the Chill fans were happy with the results.

"I just took a couple of open shots and hit them," Bacon said. "Then (San Jose) had a smaller player on me, so it made it easier to score down in the post."

Next up for the Chill is tonight against the Chicago Blaze. The team, led by star forward Tamika Catchings, defeated the Chill Feb. 6 in Chicago. Colorado will seek revenge at the Budweiser Events Center at 7 p.m. The Chill had previously won all four contests this season against the Blaze (6-5), but Chicago comes in just a few games behind in the standings.