To the Editor:

As I was driving in this morning, it finally dawned on me how lucky I am to be working with college students, because they must be invincible!

Here I am driving a moving vehicle and this student steps right out in front of my car off of the curb – not even a glance to see if there might be something that would endanger his well-being! And it happens all of the time! So one can only come to conclude that we must be among super beings who don't have to give a thought to their personal security.

Now – kidding aside – STUDENTS (pedestrians and bicyclists alike): please pay more attention to the traffic situations around you. I see you cross against the lights (you're supposed to go WITH the green light), step out in front of traffic and navigate parking lots without any regard for your or anyone else's safety. The pedestrian may have the right of way (and in some cases not) – but natural physics isn't going to care if you have the right of way – the larger, faster moving object will probably determine the outcome.

MaryAnn Stroub

Faculty, electrical and computer engineering

To the Editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I have had Celiac Disease for nearly 12 years now and I take offense to being called a "victim," as Wednesday's article, "Wheat Disease On the Rise" suggests. Having an intolerance to gluten is extremely difficult because people don't understand what it all entails; it is not an allergy. It requires a keen awareness of food products and how they are prepared. People need to know that even the smallest ingestion of gluten can cause substantial damage to the small intestine and a major reaction for some. Those who think, "a little bit won't hurt you," are definitely mistaken. Though it is difficult to follow such a strict diet, I find the term "victim" inappropriate and misleading. I don't feel like I am suffering in the sense the article indicates.

Julie Atherton

Senior

Marketing and Management