Authors: Megan Schulz

The first annual CSU Rams with Cams iMovie Fest premiered Saturday night with the top 11-ranked movies out of 19 movies submitted.

Nineteen teams submitted movies shot over a one-week period of time, using equipment donated by Apple.

Chris Kelly, morning show host for 96.1 KISS FM, and Kevin Lamb, technical coordinator of the Programming Activity Council, hosted the show. A panel of six judges chose the top three movies after the movies were shown. Members of the first-place team each won Apple iPods from Applerockies.com.

"Honestly, we thought it would be hard (to judge) with six of us, but the top three were really pretty easy for us to separate," said KCSU Station Manager Chris Dittmer, one of the judges. "We pretty much had a unanimous decision on number one."

A movie titled "Retrospect" won first place for its depiction of three young people struggling with life after college. The movie was set to the song "I Wish I Could Go Back to College" from the Tony award-winning musical "Avenue Q."

"('Retrospect') had an awesome opening sequence," Dittmer said. "That one really impressed us the most. It looked like they knew what they were doing. There was actually editing."

"Bruce," a music video about a student's dark and creepy neighbor, was awarded second place. The team won $1,000 of housing credits from Housing and Dining Services.

Creators of the third-place team used claymation to portray the life at an arctic water hole in "North." Each member of the team won a DVD player from Circuit City.

"I thoroughly enjoyed all the movies," said Brittany Rehling, a sophomore business administration student. "I wish that they would have shown all of the movies. I know it would have taken longer, but maybe they could have done two nights."

The teams each consisted of three to five people who had one week to write, film and edit their movies. Participants were allowed access to more than $100,000 worth of new equipment provided by Apple.

"Since I didn't do it, I don't know how well it went for the participants," Rehling said. "Sitting there as audience member, I felt like for the final outcome it didn't seem as though the participants had just a week for preparation. They were very well done."

Scott Reyman, a junior restaurant and resort management major, was a member of one of the teams that submitted a movie.

"I thought it was a really cool idea," Reyman said. "It was a good fun project."

Reyman enjoyed the premiere at the Lory Student Center Theatre and hopes that CSU will continue doing Rams with Cams, and Dittmer agreed.

"I think it's a great idea to do again next year," Dittmer said. "You can get more entries and the quality (of the movies) will go up year after year. It's a good way for kids to get involved with technology."