Authors: Jon Pilsner

The Rams found a new coach and reassigned a current one to a brand-new position last week.

The CSU football team has announced that Tom Ehlers will become the first-ever head of football operations at CSU, and former CSU player Karl Ballard will replace Ehlers as defensive line coach.

The creation of the new position is something head coach Sonny Lubick said will help with organization of the program and the department.

"About 100 teams in D-1 (out of 117) have this position," Lubick said. "Tom will help out with schedules, making sure the coaches know where they're going and what they're doing, and also with the kids."

Lubick said Ehlers would also oversee making sure student athletes were performing in their academics.

Ehlers has been with the program for 16 seasons after being a four-year starter for the Rams from 1981-1985.

Ballard is a former walk on linebacker at CSU, and he helped lead the Rams to conference titles in 1994 and '95. In '95, he was named first-team all conference and was named the team's most valuable player.

Ballard started his coaching career as a graduate assistant at CSU in 2000 and leaves behind the defensive coordinator position at South Dakota State, where he has coached since 2001.

"Karl is a great addition; he's a really good guy to have in our program," Lubick said. "He was a great player and I think (he) will make a very good coach."

Lubick also said the team will still name a wide receivers coach in the coming weeks, filling the position that Matt Lubick left empty when he took a job at Mississippi.