Authors: Nathaniel Ramos

The CSU tennis team returns to action after a three-week hiatus at 5 p.m. Saturday when it hosts New Mexico State.

The Aggies come into the match with a 2-0 record and are leading the all-time series against CSU 9-2. Since the team's last game on Jan. 23, CSU (1-1) has been working out in preparation for this weekend's game.

"(We have been working on) our doubles game, volleying, aggressiveness in doubles, aggressiveness in singles, looking for the short ball to come in on and attack," said sophomore Emily Kirchem.

This aggressiveness may come in handy for the Rams as they will be up against Aggie senior Sandra Mayr, the Sun Belt Player of the Week, for her two singles wins against Lamar and Weber State last weekend. Kirchem will lead the Rams after being named the Mountain West Conference Player of the Week on Jan. 26, for remaining undefeated in singles in two games against Creighton and Nebraska.

Just in case aggressiveness is not enough, the Rams have also been working on a few other factors during practices in anticipation of the Aggies.

"Our practices this year are more intense or more focused," Kirchem said. "We are more focused (on improving) different parts of our game."

In the Rams' last two outings against Creighton and Nebraska the Rams had completely opposite games. In its first game, CSU beat Creighton in 6-of-7 matches. But against Nebraska, the Rams turned 180 degrees, falling in 6-of-7 matches.

Then again, some of CSU's errors may be explained by other factors, as the games were on the road on consecutive days. This, along with travel, might have contributed to the Rams' inconsistency.

"Some of us were coming off rusty, but as the game (against Creighton) progressed we gradually got better and started to get in the flow of things," said junior Jasmin Singh.

Whatever the reason for the loss against Nebraska, the Rams expect to have an improved game against New Mexico State.

"I think in general we have gotten better. I feel prepared," Singh said. "We have been training all month. I think we are ready."