Authors: By Joanna Thomas

In a battle for the most blood, students from CSU came out in larger numbers than University of Colorado students in the first-ever blood donation competition between the two schools.

The drive, which was held Monday through Wednesday, drew about 240 CSU students to the Lory Student Center and a "mobile coach" parked at the old bus depot near the Morgan Library.

But CSU drew more than just people; the drive drew about 12 more units of blood than CU. Julie Wedding, public relations representative for Bonfils Blood Center, said CSU students donated about 240 units while CU students donated 228 units, giving CSU the "win" in the competition.

While CSU and CU could have seen more people, Wedding still agrees that the drive was a success.

"But I still think it was an effective competition," Wedding said.

She said Bonfils is pleased with the results and the number of people who came out.

"Hopefully we can grow the event and bring even more people for the next years," she said.

Wedding said all students who donated the past three days are eligible to donate again in eight weeks.

"So you can save more lives and help fill the community blood banks," Wedding said.

Emily Gauss, a junior English education major, donated her gallon unit on Tuesday at the Lory Student Center. Gauss said it felt great knowing so many lives can be saved through her donated blood.

"Now I'm looking forward to when I'm 50 and I have (given) 10 gallons, because I don't plan on stopping," Gauss said.

The drive attracted new donators as well as returning donators. Leah Stangel, a senior technical journalism major, donated for the first time on Tuesday. She said she always wanted to donate but never had.

"I've been to the Bonfils Web site and learned that 30 minutes of my time can save three people's lives," Stangel said.

Stangel said she plans on donating again when she is eligible.

"Every time Bonfils comes to CSU I want to donate," Stangel said.

Debborah Luntsford was the liaison for the blood drive at CU. She said the drive was consistently busy and went well each day.

"Overall it was very successful," Luntsford said.

Luntsford estimates there were about 300 volunteers and donators who helped CU out at the drive.

However, CU had some disadvantages, Luntsford said.

"One disadvantage is we only had three hours a day because room availability became an issue," Luntsford said.

She said she also noticed more deferrals from CU because of the difference in demographics.

"A lot of our students travel and are into tattoos and body piercings," Luntsford said.

She said some deferrals were because of fasting on Ash Wednesday.

But Luntsford was glad to see the people come out.

"Anytime we can do anything to help the community is great," she said.