To the editor:

This is in response to Ben Bleckley's article, "Chickens, Nazis and foreign policy" in Monday's Collegian.

In your article you said that you did not mean to offend any victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. Umm, sorry buddy, but you already did. Supporting Ward Churchill's freedom of speech already insulted me, and I had nothing to do with the attacks. God knows how insulted the victims feel. It's like saying to someone, "no offense, but you suck!"

Yes, freedom of speech should be protected, but there are limits. For example, you can't say "FIRE" in a crowded building, and of all the limits of freedom of speech, supporting the act of terrorism is by far the worst.

Ward Churchill not only insulted the victims of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, he directly supported terrorism by giving reason to attack us.

He said directly in his essay about how it was right for Osama bin Laden to attack us because of a horrible tragedy that occurred during the Gulf War over 12 years ago. You know we killed a lot of innocent civilians in the Vietnam War, or the Korean War, or World War II, or any war that this nation has been involved in. It's called collateral damage, and it happens in every military conflict. Are you actually saying that every civilian in Vietnam, Korea, or the entirety of Europe should attack us? Not only should Mr. Churchill be fired, he should be arrested for TREASON!

This is what treason stands for: giving way for the enemy, allowing reason for the enemy to attack. Anything in which you support our enemy is considered treason.

Robert Drost

Freshman

History Major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

In response to Vincent Adams' editorial about Ward Churchill

I believe Mr. Adams has missed a major aspect to this issue. I am just as much for freedom of speech as anyone. However, tax dollars should not be used to give Ward Churchill a platform to mouth his anti-American rhetoric. If he wants to do this at a private institution, that is fine, let him, but not with taxpayers' money.

Jon Grooters

Senior, electrical engineering

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

I read Vincent Adam's column this week, and was again offended. I read the whole thing, and listened to his arguments. But I have a hard time getting past his use of "moronic sheep followers" for conservatives.

That's great; Vince has not even met me, but calls me a moron. I could call all liberals "retarded hippie stoners," but that would be silly and wrong. Is this name-calling or an opinion column? I think that is the same problem the embattled University of Colorado – Boulder professor has run into. A little inappropriate name-calling has distracted people from the main point. How ironic of Vince to try and prove this!

Dan Kesterson

Junior, engineering science major