Authors: Joelle Milholm

Returning to the diamond for the first time since the fall, the CSU women's softball team picked up four wins and three losses in a four-day trip to San Luis Obispo, Calif.

The team's first match-up resulted in a 4-2 loss to Cal Poly on Thursday. The Rams committed six fielding errors, two with two outs in the third inning to allow Cal Poly to put two runs on the board. Freshman first basemen Julia Kloppe went 2-for-3 with a walk and a RBI.

CSU then picked up its first win of the season with a 4-1 victory over Nevada on Thursday night. Junior pitcher Genevieve Kelly got the win for the Rams, throwing a career-high 14 strikeouts in a one-run, complete-game showing.

Following that, the Rams played five games in the Mustang Round-Up Friday through Sunday. The first game took place against Sacramento State. With the game tied at one in the seventh inning, senior shortstop Brittany Burtner hit a two-out triple with the bases loaded to put the Rams ahead for good.

On Friday night the Rams faced Cal Poly again, this time falling 2-0. The Rams only managed to get two hits and went scoreless for the first time in 83 games, dating back to March 28, 2003.

The Rams evened out their record once again on Friday night, defeating Nevada 2-1. In the bottom of the seventh inning, with the score tied at one, senior second baseman Steph Roberts hit a game-winning RBI sacrifice fly, scoring junior center fielder Jennifer Gardner.

CSU concluded the tournament by facing Arkansas twice. The Rams dropped the first game 2-1 on Saturday night. The Razorbacks put up two runs in the first two runs and the Rams weren't able to come back. Kelly (3-2) took the loss, giving up five hits, two runs and striking out three in five innings.

The Rams got revenge on Sunday morning, beating the Razorbacks 6-4 behind the pitching of Strickland (1-1) and junior JayCee Wood. Strickland helped her own cause by going 2-for-3, scoring two runs and picking up a RBI.

The Rams will hit the road again, this time heading to Las Cruces, N.M., Feb. 18-20 for the Troy Cox Classic.