Authors: Adam Ebner

The Colorado Chill found its weekend road to be rough, winning its first game Friday night, but dropping the following two.

The team still sits on top of the NWBL standings, however, and hopes to extend that lead as it returns home next week.

The Chill (8-3) carried momentum from the previous home stand when the team beat Birmingham and Lubbock prior to Friday's game. Going up against the Lubbock Hawks (5-4) for the second game in a row, the women escaped with an 82-81 victory. A 17-3 run in the second half and clutch free throws by Becky Hammon at the end sealed the game. Hammon lead the way with 22 points and center Ruth Riley added 20 points along with 12 rebounds. Unfortunately for the Chill, the four-game winning streak was short-lived.

Saturday night the Chill headed to Dallas to cross paths once again with star guard Anna DeForge, who torched Colorado for 41 points on Jan. 27 at the Budweiser Events Center. She led her team on this night with 22 points, and an all-around solid effort by the Fury (3-5) gave them the contest, 73-61. The loss came despite another great effort from Riley. She put up another double-double in a 22-point, 16-rebound effort, but the Chill only managed to shoot 34 percent for the game, including a woeful 4-of-22 from 3-point range.

Sunday was no easier for Colorado. An overnight trip to Chicago matched them up with Tamika Catchings and the Blaze. Each team shot well, but in the end Chicago (5-4) proved superior. Catchings and three other starters scored in double-figures, and 7-of-11 second-half shooting from behind the 3-point line carried the Blaze. The Chill were led by Hammon's 27-point effort, but 21 turnovers to Chicago's 11 allowed Blaze to close out a 92-77 victory.

The Chill come back to Colorado for two games next week, starting on Sunday against the winless San Jose Spiders (0-8). The team will try to rebound and extend its home winning streak to 20 games.