Authors: Megan Schulz

The movies were due on Saturday. A post-production party with food and door prizes was held in the Ingersoll Hall basement from 10 p.m. to midnight.

"Rams with Cams," the top-15-judged movies in the first annual CSU iMovie Festival, will premier at 7 p.m. Saturday in the Lory Student Center Theatre.

The filmmakers gathered in Summit Hall on Jan. 29 to reserve brand-new equipment that used to write, film and edit their own movies.

"I think it's a great idea," said Jack McGrew, assistant dean for the College of Natural Sciences. "They had done this at other schools (such as) Emery and Duke, and they seemed to have a lot of fun with it."

About 100 students divided into teams of three to five people and had one week to complete their movies. Participants have access to more than $100,000 of equipment flown in from Apple headquarters in California, said Karen Meyers, CSU's Apple campus representative.

"We got Apple to donate 50 computers and 25 video cameras for a week," said Meyers, a junior marketing and psychology major. "From the Apple perspective, we really wanted to be involved because we think it's cool to see students find a technology they can use that isn't a headache to learn."

Meyers said there were a total of 25 teams, and all teams had access to 24-hour labs in the Ingersoll basement to edit their movies. Some local companies are also contributing donations to make the creative process easier.

Josh DeSanti, a member of one of the teams and a senior history major, said that last week, he looked forward to making a movie.

"The group and I are doing Rams with Cams basically because we think it will be a lot of fun," said DeSanti. "It will give us a chance to express ourselves and show our sense of humor to the rest of campus."

DeSanti, who is no stranger to acting, also enjoys the opportunity for creativity involved in making a movie.

"I get to dress up as a giant chipmunk," DeSanti said. "I acted in a few high school plays. I portrayed Bob Cratchit in 'The Christmas Carol,' so a violent chipmunk won't be a problem. I've immersed myself into the realm of chipmunk-dom and I know how an angry chipmunk acts."

A panel of judges scored the movies Saturday and the top three groups will win prizes.

The first-place prize is an Apple iPod for all of the group's members. Second-place prizewinners with each receive $1,000 housing credits for next year, and third place will receive DVD players donated by Circuit City.

Besides providing participants with prizes and the chance to make a movie, Rams with Cams is also a way to promote the iMovie technology that is already used on CSU's campus. Teams will be using Apple iMovie technology to make their movies.

"I teach a freshman seminar in the fall and we've made movies with iMovie," McGrew said. "It's a very easy program to use. Anyone can learn it in a few minutes."

Meyers thought the program would be a good learning opportunity for students.

"We thought it would be a really neat way for students to learn a new skill to have that they can use later in a job or presentation," Meyers said. "It's also a good way to promote student discounts that a lot of people don't know about through Apple."

McGrew encourages students to attend the premiere on Saturday.

"I think you should go and support other students," McGrew said. "It should be very entertaining. Students have a unique eye and a unique take (on things around campus)."