Authors: Amanda Havekost

Expect more records to be broken when the top-10 ranked CSU track and field teams lace up their sneakers to compete in the Air Force Quadrangular beginning at 10 a.m. this Saturday in Colorado Springs.

The Rams are expecting a tough meet this weekend against Air Force, California and Colorado, and head coach Del Hessel isn't holding anything back.

"We'll be going full steam ahead and we won't be resting anyone this week," Hessel said. "CU and Cal rested last weekend so they are looking to come strong and take a shot to run this week."

The women are ranked No. 1, and the men are ranked No. 7 in the U.S. Track Coaching Association Team Power Rankings

"We probably have the best overall record in the U.S.," Hessel said.

The teams' track record in the last two invitationals include some serious bragging rights, but this weekend's meet will have added pressure for individuals looking to surpass provisional or automatic qualifying standards for the NCAA Championship taking place March 11-12 in Arkansas.

"If they don't get the job done this weekend at Air Force, then they won't be going to Arkansas," Hessel said.

Senior Adam Trainor, sophomore Magnus Lohse, senior Josh Glaab and senior Loree Smith have qualified in previous meets to represent the green and gold at the NCAA Championship.

Trainor is ranked No. 4 nationally in the Trackwire NCAA Division 1 standings in the weight throw. Lohse is ranked No. 2 in the shot put, Glaab is No. 5 in the 5000-meter run and Smith is ranked No. 2 in the weight throw and No. 6 in the shot put.

"I am the closest in the nation to Candice Scott (Florida), but I am still chasing that elusive NCAA Championship," Smith said.

The Rams will be competing against California and CU for the first time this season and are looking forward to the change. One of last week's record-breakers, junior Becky Hammitt, is excited about the new competition.

"It's always fun to see different people and to run against people you don't usually run against," Hammitt said.

Sophomore Janay DeLoach earned two first-place finishes last week against Wyoming and Air Force and feels confident about facing the Golden Bears and the Buffs Saturday.

"You get an idea of knowing where you stand and get to know players," DeLoach said.

With track and field athletes not drawing the amount of crowds or praise that football and basketball teams receive, Hessel said these Rams are driven by self-motivation.

"The track and field athletes are doing it for themselves and for the team," Hessel said.