Authors: Joanna Thomas

What: CSU-University of Colorado blood drive

When: 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Monday through Wednesday

Where: Monday and Tuesday – Lory Student Center North Ballroom. Wednesday – north side of the Morgan Library parking lot

Contact (800) 365-0006 or (303) 366-2000 to make an appointment or for more information

CSU will soon take on the University of Colorado in another head-to-head competition, only this time the competition will not be on the field.

It will be on a gurney, with the colleges competing to see which school can donate the most blood.

The drive will be held Monday and Tuesday in the Lory Student Center North Ballroom and Wednesday at a "mobile coach" that will be parked at the old bus depot, on the south side of the Lory Student Center next to the Morgan Library parking lot.

Donations will be accepted from 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. daily. To make an appointment or for more information, call toll-free (800) 365-0006 or (303) 366-2000.

The drive, hosted by Bonfils Blood Center, will mark the first time the two universities have competed to raise the most blood donations.

Bonfil's staff is trying to develop a bigger event, hoping to make it an annual drive. The aim of the drive is to get as many young people involved in giving blood as possible, said Julie Wedding, a Bonfils public relations representative.

"Seventeen- through 30-year-olds usually give only once a year," Wedding said. "This blood drive will encourage people to give twice a year."

Wedding hopes the drive will probably bring more blood than is usually donated.

"Whenever there's a competition there is a little more incentive to donate. Especially since CU and CSU are big rivals," Wedding said.

The blood drive is co-sponsored at CSU by Premedica, a pre-medical club.

Allison Page, a junior speech communication major, is the co-chair of Premedica and is organizing CSU's portion of the blood drive. She said Premedica has been running blood drives for 34 years on campus, and she personally has been running them for a year and a half.

"Typically we get 180-190 units of blood within two days," Page said.

Page said she imagines there will be a bigger turnout because of the third day, which was added to the drive this year.

"Of course the whole 'beat the Buffs' attitude will pull people in," Page said.

Wedding is expecting about 300 CSU students to participate throughout the three days, which will total 600 between the two schools.

Page said she personally feels very strongly about donating blood after donated blood saved her friend's life.

"One of my best friends got in a really bad car accident and I had never really thought of donating before that," Page said.

Meagan Bullock, a CU senior applied mathematics major, said she donates for CU drives because it is a great cause and helps other people.

"Being a student, I don't have much money, but I have a lot of blood," Bullock said.

Bullock also said that donating blood is a big event at CU and everyone makes an effort to come out.

"I think it's (the drive) going to be a big turnout," she said.

Debborah Luntsford is the adviser for staff council and liaison for the blood drive at CU. She said the University of Colorado Student Union and staff council put on drives once a year, and this is the biggest and most visible of them all.

"We usually fill every appointment slot," Luntsford said.

Wedding said appointments are not mandatory, but they are encouraged.

"This is a great way to do something for the community as well as have the satisfaction that you saved a life," Wedding said.