Authors: Nick Piburn

Despite the chances of the NHL playing anytime soon looking as grim as ever, Colorado is still producing some unbelievable hockey. Look no further than the American Collegiate Hockey Association's best in the West, the CSU Rams.

The Rams, ranked No. 3 overall in the ACHA, won again last weekend in Cheyenne, beating a San Jose State team that has already posted a win over Colorado this season. The game, while not pretty, held the Rams in the top position in the ACHA West Division.

"The game was kind of sloppy," said club president Jordan Stover. "We kind of played down to their level."

Regardless of the level of play, the win was big, especially considering the Rams were playing without their top defenseman, freshman Chris Hau. The Rams got some power from another source, receiving an unexpected offensive boost from goalie Brian Minor, who assisted on the final goal of a 3-1 win to seal the game.

CSU has two more games this weekend at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and Saturday at Edora Pool and Ice Center against Eastern Washington.

The Rams will have a complete lineup on Saturday as Hau comes off his two-game suspension for elbowing a CU player in the game on Jan. 22.

"It really sucks watching, and not being able to help the team," Hau said. "It's going to be fun though coming back to play the team we played the game before. Hopefully I can stay out of the penalty box until nationals."

Baseball takes the field

While hockey is nearing the end of its season, CSU baseball starts this weekend.

The Rams will travel to Lamar for four games against the junior college powerhouse Lamar Community College. The teams will face off twice on Saturday and twice again Sunday.

The team has been practicing about five days a week since coming back from break, but only a small amount has been on the field.

"Until March 1, we're very limited in what we can do," said club president David Schultz. "We've had to go two days a week on the field, two inside, and one-to-two days on the side in the batting cages. We haven't even taken an infield yet."

Despite the lack of field time and the fact that they are playing one of the best junior college teams in the state, the Rams are still positive about the upcoming season.

"We want to see good teams now to get us prepared for our conference," Schultz said. "What we do in the non-conference doesn't really matter, as long as we win conference."