Carjacking suspect arrested

Authors: Collegian Staff

Fort Collins Police Services officers arrested a carjacking suspect Tuesday morning after a short pursuit.

Craig Dewayne Forbes, 25, is charged with aggravated robbery (a class 3 felony), eluding police (a class 4 felony) and possession of a gun by a previous offender, according to a news release from FCPS.

At approximately 8:40 a.m. Tuesday, police officers responded to a car jacking in the parking lot of Albertson's Supermarket, 3660 S. Mason St. The 38-year-old victim reported that a male had approached her, pointed a gun at her and demanded her car keys and purse. The victim handed over her purse and keys and the suspect fled down Horsetooth Road in her 1997 GMC Bronze Jimmy.

The suspect had been seen getting out of a previously stolen 2002 GMC pickup truck in the Albertson's parking lot. The truck had been stolen Monday night from the 300 block of Link Lane.

Approximately five minutes after the carjacking, officers saw the stolen vehicle traveling northbound on Shields Street from Horsetooth Road and briefly pursued it. The suspect eluded officers and the pursuit was called off.

The suspect continued westbound on Swallow Road and then southbound on Dunbar Avenue when he crashed into a 1994 Dodge Caravan driven by David Torgerson of Fort Collins.

The suspect then fled on foot into a subdivision and was captured minutes later behind a home on Lynda Lane. The .25 caliber handgun was recovered in the stolen car.

Both Forbes and Torgerson were transported to Poudre Valley Hospital. Forbes was released and transported to Larimer County Detention Center.