Authors: Amanda Grace Havekost

10 CSU Student Athletes Named to the 2004 Mountain West Indoor All-Conference team returning this season: Jacob Benson, High Jump

Janay DeLoach, Long Jump

Cristina Gourdin, Pentathlon

Justin Hazzard, 400 Meters

Brandon Kent, 400 Meters

Danielle Korb, Mile

Magnus Lohse, Shot Put

Mike Nicks, Mile

Adam Trainor, Weight Throw

John Woods, 60 Meters, 200 Meters

With high hopes – and jumps – the nationally ranked CSU track and field teams prepare to head north for a Border Battle against Wyoming and Air Force this Saturday at the Robert Shine Invitational.

The all-day meet will take place in Laramie. The CSU teams are up for the challenge running off the adrenaline from their victories and individual record-breaking performances at last week's Air Force Invitational.

After breaking her own CSU record in the weight throw at the last meet and being awarded Mountain West Conference Athlete of the week, senior Loree Smith looks to be a standout performer at this Border Battle.

Junior Amanda Huddleston is expected to turn heads Saturday. Huddleston not only broke the school record last week jumping 40-4.75, but also became the first female in CSU history to break the 40-foot barrier.

Head coach Del Hessel is sending a large team to compete in all events and said he is optimistic about the upcoming meet.

"It is always a competitive meet with Wyoming and Air Force, but I feel good about where the team is heading," Hessel said.

Hessel has a few lineup switches planned within the teams to give certain athletes a chance to compete in events that are not their standard events. These switches keep the team healthy and give younger team members the chance to compete.

"I feel we're definitely going to move some people around," Hessel said.

Senior jumper and veteran team member, Jacob Benson, is looking forward to Saturday. He feels the track team is awesome this year.

"We have all the bases covered," Benson said.

This week the men's team is ranked No. 11 in the national polls and plans to dominate Saturday in a repeat performance from last week. Currently, the women are tied for No. 24 nationally and hope to move up in the polls following Saturday's meet.

With 10 student-athletes named to the 2004 Mountain West Indoor All-Conference team returning this season, experience and leadership are not lacking for the team.

Loree Smith, Adam Trainor, Magnus Lohse and Josh Glaab surpassed the automatic or provisional qualifying standards and are guaranteed spots to represent the green and gold in the NCAA Championship March 11-12 in Arkansas.

GRAPHIC BOX