Authors: Sara Crocker

To apply to work on the Seedstock Merchandising Team, applications can be obtained from Tom Field. He can be contacted at tom.field@colostate.edu

The 29th annual auction of seedstock will take place on Mar. 19 at 1 p.m.

For more information go to www.ansci.colostate.edu or contact Michael Hays at 566-2920 or Tom Field at 491-6642.

While most students spent their winter break sleeping into the late hours of the afternoon, CSU's Seedstock Merchandising Team was awake, preparing to show the cattle it raised at the National Western Stock Show.

"It kind of takes time away from your break," said team captain Ty Groshans, a senior agribusiness and animal sciences major. "But it's well worth it."

Groshans said the team's responsibilities could also cut into spring break when it spends its time preparing for the annual production sale on Mar. 19, where it will auction off the Angus and Herfer cattle the members raised.

Seedstock is pure-breed lines of cattle that are raised for reproduction.

Tom Field, one of the faculty advisers for the team and a professor in the Department of Animal Sciences, said students have been involved in assisting with the bull sale for almost 30 years, but the team has only been around for about four years.

To join the team, students must apply and commit to working for one year. Field said students are involved in a number of activities, from hosting symposiums on campus, to networking with professionals at national agriculture conventions.

"They build a huge professional network," Field said.

Jenny Pollock, a former team captain who graduated last year, said she still keeps in touch with contacts she made through her work on the team. Pollock now works for Optibrand, a company that does retinal imaging on livestock. Her involvement with the team has prepared her for her career.

"I don't think there's any clubs that apply so much to what you do," Pollock said.

Groshans, who has been on the team for two years, agreed the experience he has gained goes hand in hand with his future career goal of working in the beef industry.

Heather Amen, a senior agribusiness and animal sciences major, said she joined the team because she wants to eventually own a herd and sell seedstock. She said the team has taught her a lot about aspects of the seedstock industry.

"A lot of the stuff that we've learned will definitely be taken back to farms and ranches," Amen said.

Although the cattle are the focus of the team, Field pointed out an ulterior motive.

"We use our cattle to showcase our students," said Field, whose pride for his students could be seen in the frames that filled his office.

Field said it is rewarding to see the students recognized for their hard work and to witness team cohesion throughout the year.

"They learn what it's like to be on a team," Field said. "You have to be able to trust and depend on the people around you."

Amen said she has made close friendships after spending so much time with people on the team.

"We're basically like a big family," Amen said. "Once you're a team you stick together."