To the editor:

I was extremely disappointed in the integrity of the Collegian when I saw Thursday's cartoon that depicted the Ku Klux Klan and its alignment to CSU's Greek Life. The cartoon linked fraternities and a racial hate group together. Needless to say, this is both inaccurate and offensive. I am surprised that the editorial staff of a respected student newspaper would allow such an offensive piece to be published.

The Greek system here at CSU is one that contributes a great deal to both the university and the community. It is constantly striving to build the awareness and appreciation of diversity here at CSU. It is disheartening to say the least to see that despite all of our efforts to make a difference at this university, leaders of our own student publication deem it acceptable to associate our organizations with one that aligns itself with hate. Hopefully, in the future the staff of the Collegian will be more insightful when making comparisons between student organizations and hate groups.

Kevin Selvy

Senior business open-option major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

This letter is in response to Tyler Wittman's article, "Tsunami is suddenly U.S.'s fault." Had Tyler done his research before writing his article, he would know the United Nations has a right to place partial blame on the United States for global warming.

The United States is a major source of greenhouse gas emissions, primarily because our economy is the largest in the world (Official Energy Statistics from the U.S. government). With only 4 percent of the world's population, the United States produces 25 percent of the world's pollution (BBC).

The Kyoto Protocol, an international treaty on global warming, will come into force next month. This treaty commits 55 industrialized nations to make cuts in gases, including carbon dioxide, by the year 2012. Although the

Kyoto Protocol was a deal created between rich countries, Bush will not ratify it for fear it will "harm the U.S. economy."

The world does not think that the tsunamis were "our idea," but it might find the idea of $350 million in relief aid a little pathetic, considering my hometown of Houston, Texas, has contributed $988 million in Iraq alone (based on state payment of taxes data from the IRS; National Priorities Project).

Courtney Harwell

Senior, technical journalism major

To the editor:

Uncategorized  Add comments

According to government documents released on Monday, there is new evidence of U.S. torture in Iraq. As many as 90 people who were detained in a little-known U.S.-run jail in Iraq have lodged complaints of torture against the United States. Detainees were reportedly sodomized, tortured with electric shocks, beaten and burned with cigarettes. One elderly Iraqi woman was reportedly sodomized with a stick.

On Monday the military revealed that 23 prisoners at Guantanamo Bay attempted to hang or strangle themselves during a protest against prison treatment in 2003. About 200 of the prisoners have been released from Guantanamo with no charges. In other words, there was no evidence they had done anything wrong.

The latest documents revealed that few Army personnel have been charged, though they have admitted to beating or threatening to kill Iraqi detainees.

An estimated 100,000 civilians have died in Iraq as a consequence of the U.S. invasion, according to a study at Johns Hopkins University in Baltimore. More than half of these were women and children (www.democracyisnotsilent.org).

In November, Red Cross officials in Iraq estimated that 800 civilians were killed in the siege on Fallujah alone. They went on to say this was an extremely conservative estimate, only counting those bodies coming out, not counting people crushed under rubble of homes. Iraqis reported there were so many dead bodies on the ground, no one could bury them and the stench was unbearable. U.S. soldiers were allegedly dropping bodies into the Euphrates River that runs right nearby Fallujah and other bodies were being pulled by tanks to the soccer stadium and left there (www.democracyisnotsilent.org).

Also on Monday, Bush said to an anti-abortion protest, "This is the path of the culture of life that we seek for our country." Culture of life? We seek a culture of life?

Chris Carlson